Which SLR to buy? Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel (above water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's more than a few bucks less that Adorama/B&H/Beach, then it is most likely a scam. The camera world is full of them. This thread over at a Canon forum may be instructive. Canon Digital Photography Forums

If you order this camera you will probably be told that you need to order a battery, an over priced CF card, and the firmware for the camera as it doesn't come with any of that. But the time you are done you will have paid more than from a real vendor. If you refuse, the camera will be "out of stock."

This will also be interesting to you: Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera, more Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

I don't know why, but camera gear, unlike anything else I've ever known of, is full of REALLY unscrupulous dealers. Almost all of these places are based in Brooklyn and Queens.

Wow... i didn't even know this reseller rating site existed. It's pretty interesting....

Needless to say, this answered my question about buying from Broadway Photo. I don't think I've ever seen a store with more pissed off customers and bad reviews. It's definately not worth the hassle and problems you'd encounter. I imagine their customer service after the sale is even worse.

Wow... i didn't even know this reseller rating site existed. It's pretty interested.

Needless to say, this answered my question about buying from Broadway Photo. I don't think I've ever seen a store with more pissed off customers and bad reviews.

Believe it or not there are camera places that are even worse.

Just because you've decided to go with a Nikon instead of a Canon doesn't mean I want to see you lose your money. :wink:

Believe it or not there are camera places that are even worse.

Just because you've decided to go with a Nikon instead of a Canon doesn't mean I want to see you lose your money. :wink:

Heh.. that's pretty funny. I'm not against Canon though. With most folks I've asked that have one or the other, they seem to like the other fine and say it's good too and it basically seems to run down to a matter or personal preference or choice. I'm sure that I'd be happy with the Cannon also if I got it.

There's a site that shows Brooklyn store fronts where these shady outfits operate and gives you the incestuous lineage of the ownership. There are about 20 different shady New York camera/electronics outfits that advertise on places like "ShopCart" and always have really (unbelievably) low prices. Most of them pop up with different names and websites with the same origins. They have a history of bait and switch. You order something online and get a response that says you have to call them. Then they sell you something that is supposed to come with the camera, like a battery and charger, etc. for 10 times the price. They con you into adding on an expensive "Nikon USA" lens, then bill you and send you a cheapo Sigma and say they were substituting because they ran out. In the meantime, they don't answer their phones and e-mails and people have to cancel their credit cards and make claims with the card co.'s to get restitution. I haven't dealt with any of same, and won't name any names, but there's plenty of ammunition on "reseller" etc. What I did was Google the words "consumer complaints (add name of company)" and let my jaw drop at the responses. There are literally hundreds of them. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Buy from a known and respected source.

Heh.. that's pretty funny. I'm not against Canon though. With most folks I've asked that have one or the other, they seem to like the other fine and say it's good too and it basically seems to run down to a matter or personal preference or choice. I'm sure that I'd be happy with the Cannon also if I got it.

Mike.

I feel your post is true too heart!

I Do feel it is personel preferance.... Canon or Nikon.... They are both top of the line

Well. I ended up ordering two cameras.

(1.) Nikon D40x with 18-135mm for myself

(2.) Nikon D40 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR for my father. Most retailers are running a deal of $100 bucks off now with that 2nd lens.

I didn't think I would need the 10mp of the D40x very often, but didn't want to need it later and wish I had gotten it. Especially of I needed to do a big crop of any pic or a big poster size print. But didn't want to "wish" I had gotten it later.

Opted not to get the 2nd lens for myself since the 55-200mm has a lot of redunant zoom coverage as the 18-135mm. The 18-200mm VR would have been nice, but it's still pricey. (though not as much as earlier in the year). The next step on lens and not being redundant in zoom range was the 70-300mm VR as a two lens package, but it's almost $500 bucks more. maybe later.

Overall, I found lots of decent research in talking to people here and other reviews on the web. Most configurations are good, you just have to fine tune it for exactly what you might want and what your wallet can survive!

thanks everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom