which side for a bailout bottle and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sling a 40 on my left side, keeps from interfering with the long hose, plus if I ever start tech diving and slinging deco bottles, they will most likely be on my left side so it builds familiarity with the concept.

If your bailout is hitting things, tighten the rigging or get off the reef.

Peace,
Greg

Slung on left, so it does not trap the long hose.

If your bailout is hitting things, tighten the rigging or get off the reef.

...or just backmount it. Safe & out of the way & there when you need it, and less swimming resistance IMO. I'm thinking a lot of you slingers don't spend much of your time inverted over the reef with both hands busy doing macro shots. Inverted is a great position for photography because it puts just what you need - your head, eyes, hands, and camera - as close to the subject as possible, with all the gear & fins etc. away up top and way off the reef. Takes a lot of practice and skill and extremely tight buoyancy control but I'm sure you slingers can manage that... :wink:

Yeah, there are ways to sling that work, too - early on I experimented with a 13cf cross-slung in front that worked OK, but still nothing beats backmount for being there, but out of the way. So, my recommendation for backmounting stands - for photogs anyway.

One caveat, though - if backmounting, I think it's preferable to use a mount that does not leave your pony attached to the main tank. While mostly a matter of preference, nevertheless if your cylinder slips somehow, you want your pony to stay where you need it.

...or just backmount it. Safe & out of the way & there when you need it, and less swimming resistance IMO. I'm thinking a lot of you slingers don't spend much of your time inverted over the reef with both hands busy doing macro shots.

Well... that describes 98.4% of my diving. I have no issues having a slung pony at the same time (other than once when I did not have it set up properly). I have used AL40 (preference) and AL80. An AL40, in particular, I do not notice.

I understand what you are saying and agree that things would be more out of the way if it was backmounted but the costs outweigh the benefits for me of having it backmounted (spectrum covered most of the benefits as I see them).

Anytime I dive with a stage/pony its slung on my left side. It is going to be the lowest part of my gear,sometimes the top of the tank will drag in the silt on low viz local dives. (If you need to be 4 inches off the bottom to see it,and the tank is 5 inches below me then its going to drag.......)
Back mounted ponys have lots of disadvantages. Harder to turn on/off,possible entanglement hazard,hard/impossible to hand off to another diver etc. Having said that I can see why photographers choose to backmount them,especially if they are into macro.

So how about this for a suggestion? Sidemount the pony? Doesn't have to be fancy. Tail of the tank can go on a butt D ring (The rope may need to be a little longer) Rig some thick bungee to loop over the valve of the pony.That will suck it up hard into your armpit and get it off the reef/silt.

Lots of rebreather guys will sidemount bailout. These need to be carried on every dive (At least if you want to live very long) but are rarely used. Seems to be the most elegant way to carry an extra tank

Last edited:
Just like many others have already posted, I sling mine on the left side because I have a can light and my long hose on the right.

As for tank dragging, I would have to be laying on the coral for my tank to hit it. I use an AL 40 which seems to pretty much disappear while diving.

Back
Top Bottom