Which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonOh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to invest in my own regulator and would like some idea/feedback. From the second stages that I have rented, I have realized that I want a regulator that can swivel on the second stage for comfort. Also maybe a regulator that breathes continuously even if you are upside down or right side up (the ones I have rented felt harder to breathe in these two positions). I am only familiar with Atomic regulators, where the T2, B2 and Z2x all have swivel second stages. Is the swivel feature unique to Atomic? What should I look for on the first stage? At this point of my diving experience, I just know that I need to screw it into my tank.

No the swivel is not unique to Atomic.

I would recommend a Scubapro MK25. It has the swivel and it performs excellent. Match it with a G250V and your set.

We still have a few MK25/G250V's left for $399.

If you're buying your own set I'll assume you're going to need a first stage so DIN or Yoke? Assuming ID= Indiana, you probably will need/ want a Yoke first stage. Any brand preference and your budget? Are you doing any cold water diving? Do you need an adjustable knob for your EOB?

Just something to think about, you can get light-weight regulators instead of swivel ones (swivel functions can actually just be added to any regulator through your LDS, you don't need one built in once shipped). It's something to consider because the more moving parts you have, the more failure points. What's more important? A non-fail rig or a bit of added jaw comfort? One of which you can get used to over time, especially with light gear (braided hoses are also lighter, if you're wanting to invest).

another item to consider is which brands does your LDS service or do you plan on shipping it? I use the Atomic Z2x myself. I wanted the swivel but now i'm wonder if i might just swap the atomic swivel hose out for a 5' braided hose.

I'm in Idaho and I get enough exposure to cold water to not want to get back into it. My diving will be primarily somewhere warm. I have not tried braided hoses but if it helps with the jaw comfort I'll look into it. I have no preference for DIN or yoke but I think yoke valves will serve me better for where I will be diving. My LDS do service all brands so it shouldn't be a problem. I have no brand preference and would like to spend under $600 for something that will last me a long time.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 12:52 PM ----------

What is an adjustable knob for EOB? Is that the knob on the second stage that you adjust for breathing? Honestly I don't know if I will need that or not. I have used ones with the knob and have played with it; turned it all the way up and all the way down but didn't feel any difference.

I bought the XTX 50 last season for about $500. I havent looked back yet and dont regret the purchase. In fact I like it so much Im planning on buy a set of them for doubles. The single does have swivel and is good in cold water.

Its a reg that can be grown into if need be.

If you didn't feel any difference the reg needed serviced. I have nine regs and none with a swivel on the second stage. One that did have I swapped out and put the second on my GF's reg as she likes a swivel. I don't care for them. All but one of my primary regs are set up with 7 ft hoses. Got started on that during early etech training and it made so much sense and was so comfortable I went to it for all of them. The only primary that's not is a spare I keep for the pool or for a student or buddy. It's also a demo for the one brand I sell. It does have braided hoses.

One thing I discovered early on before going to a long hose is that while the standard hose that often comes with a 1st and second (28 inches or so) works for most people it didn't for me. A shorter one on the primary for standard set ups didn't pull or push and still allowed full freedom of movement.

Regardless of what style you go for I'd strongly suggest an environmentally sealed reg.

And it is possible to get a quality, sealed, high preformance set for around $500 including hoses, a sealed 1st stage, two seconds stages of the same performance and design, and an SPG

I'm looking to invest in my own regulator and would like some idea/feedback. From the second stages that I have rented, I have realized that I want a regulator that can swivel on the second stage for comfort.
And, you say this because . . . ? Generally, for single cylinder diving, a swivel is unnecessary. If you have problems with discomfort, you should probably look at: a) your overall level of comfort in the water (i.e. are your clenching your teeth around the mouthpiece, and suffering some jaw fatigue as a result - not uncommon in newer divers?), b) the second stage mouthpiece itself (I find that some - e.g. the Apeks Comfo-Bite - are much easier on the mouth than others, as they are smaller, made of firmer material, and feel very secure), c) the second stage hose length (too short OR too long = potenital discomfort due to awkward positioning), and d) the size / weight of the second stage (some older second stages are often bigger and heavier than newer models). I have nothing against swivels, per se - I use them on my sidemount regs because of the different hose routing with that configuration - but I don't feel the need for one on my single cylinder rigs. Or, if I had discomfort, I ultimately determined that the problem was the hose length or mouthpiece. Of course, you may have rented a regulator with a second stage swivel and found that it felt better than anything else you rented. And, while the swivel may have made the difference, it is also possible that the particular rental reg also just happened to have a better mouthpiece, or just happened to have the right hose length. Just a thought to consider before investing in a swivel.
JonOh:
Also maybe a regulator that breathes continuously even if you are upside down or right side up (the ones I have rented felt harder to breathe in these two positions).
This may be a matter of physics as much as / more than the performance of the second stage. Even most very smooth, high performance second stages will breath just a little harder if you are inverted. Think about it - when you are horizontal, and your face is down, the aperture of the second stage is positioned upward, toward your mouth - which is the natural direction for air to (want to) move underwater. If you are inverted, you are essentially 'sucking' the air down into your mouth, from the second stage that is above you. Having said that, I will also acknowledge that my Zeagle ZX second stages, and my Apeks ATX and XTX second stages breath noticeably easier when I am inverted than do my low end Mares alternate second stages. But, that is true when I am swimming in a 'normal' horizontally trimmed position as well.a reflection. A good second stage is better than a cheap second stage, irrespective of position.
I am only familiar with Atomic regulators, where the T2, B2 and Z2x all have swivel second stages. Is the swivel feature unique to Atomic?
You can install a swivel on virtually any second stage - it fits between the low pressure hose and the second stage. The Atomic unit is actually an integrated swivel, and for that reason I prefer not to use use it. You can buy a good (e.g. Omni-Swivel) swivel and install it yourself. But, there are also a number of people who are not enthused about 360 degree swivels, and recommend a fixed angle adapter (70 degrees, or 90 degrees) instead.
What should I look for on the first stage? At this point of my diving experience, I just know that I need to screw it into my tank.
That is a question that will prompt a lot of 'personal preference' recommendations, so I will give mine. On one hand, the question is, 'What brand, and 'level' of first stage, should you consider?' Frankly, most commercially available, mid-range regulators will perform equally well. I prefer Apeks and Zeagle (because that is what I am credentialed to service and those are brands that our shop carries), but also dive Mares and Sherwood (which we also carry). I really like the performance of Apeks on deeper dives, but that may just be my imagination. On the other hand, are there specific features that you might consider, irrespective of brand? I prefer environmentally sealed units as I dive cold water quite a bit. I prefer DIN - and most of my regs (and cylinders) are DIN - but also dive yoke regs.

Last edited:
I'm looking to invest in my own regulator and would like some idea/feedback. From the second stages that I have rented, I have realized that I want a regulator that can swivel on the second stage for comfort. Also maybe a regulator that breathes continuously even if you are upside down or right side up (the ones I have rented felt harder to breathe in these two positions). I am only familiar with Atomic regulators, where the T2, B2 and Z2x all have swivel second stages. Is the swivel feature unique to Atomic? What should I look for on the first stage? At this point of my diving experience, I just know that I need to screw it into my tank.

Breath well in all positions? Atomic Aquatics.

The money that you pay for a swivel, you can buy a Miflex hose. Don't get the swivel.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 01:36 PM ----------

I'm in Idaho and I get enough exposure to cold water to not want to get back into it. My diving will be primarily somewhere warm. I have not tried braided hoses but if it helps with the jaw comfort I'll look into it. I have no preference for DIN or yoke but I think yoke valves will serve me better for where I will be diving. My LDS do service all brands so it shouldn't be a problem. I have no brand preference and would like to spend under $600 for something that will last me a long time.

Don't be such a wuss. Payette Lake is cool. So is Bob Rice Pond (kind of), so's Lucky Peak, Red Fish Pond, Blue Lake in Nevada, etc.

I presume that your LDS is either Dive Magic or Boise Water Sports? Ask Mike to see if he has a refurbished set of Atomic for sales. He sold me two refurbished M1 sets a couple of years ago.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 12:52 PM ----------
What is an adjustable knob for EOB? Is that the knob on the second stage that you adjust for breathing? Honestly I don't know if I will need that or not. I have used ones with the knob and have played with it; turned it all the way up and all the way down but didn't feel any difference.

The Atomic second stages come with those and for the life of me, I can't tell the difference either. It made a difference on my Aqualung reg though.

Thanks for all the input. If I had not asked for your opinions, I would have just bought the integrated swivel ones. Thinking back, the hoses that were on my second stage were almost always too long: I have a loop of rigid hose that curls out to the right of my face. I'll remember to get a braided and custom length hose for my second stage. And I will also stay away from a swivel. I prefer to have fewer moving parts and a low failure chance.

I have not been diving enough to know what I prefer for my first stage, but I will consider the environmentally sealed ones. I prefer my first stage to stay as contaminant free as possible since I'm breathing it. And since I got called out, it will also help with cold water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom