Which regulator to buy? Aqualung helix pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you dive locally? What brands can you get serviced where you plan to dive?

DW

Do you dive locally? What brands can you get serviced where you plan to dive?

DW
I mostly dive abroad. About 3-4 times a year. Haven't done any cold water dives but might do once in next few years to test the waters

I would see what brands are most common where you travel to, and also what is common locally. Of course, that can always change, but might make it a bit easier to get them serviced. If you plan to get training to service them yourself, then I would focus on which regs have the best parts availability.

DW

I am looking at Aqualung helix pro

It seems to be a good value with good features; balanced second stage, sealed first stage, venturi...

I'd look at the Scubapro MK11/C370 or the MK17/C370 also.

There’s nothing wrong with AquaLung. They make some nice regs.

For quality, reliability, durability, and availability of parts and service, you really cannot beat Aqua Lung or ScubaPro. Find the model with the features and price that fits your diving and wallet and you really cannot go wrong.

I'm not familiar with the Helix Pro. It appears to be new. I own and regularly dive multiple AL Legend series regulators. The Helix Pro seems to be a nice blend of affordability and features, but I have no first hand experience with it.

The Helix Pro is a re-styled Core which is a restyled Titan LX. In any guise it is a superb regulator. Small, light and simple high performance first stage and now only available as the former "Supreme" version with full environmentally sealed specs. This first stage can go years and even decades without service and especially now so with the ACD which I very much like. The second stages are pneumatically balanced with an effective Venturi control and not cluttered with a cracking force adjustment knob.

IMO, the Helix/Core/Titan LX is the prefect regulator set for the casual diver who dives only a few times a year and also the perfect regulator for the enthusiast recreational diver who dives locally and abroad. It is reliable, has parts and service support everywhere as it is often used in rental fleets and the performance is 95% of the Legend and I know because I have both (well my wife has the Legend). It rated Superior on the ANSTI machine and is second to none in WOB in any practical terms.

On a recent trip a very techy diver had an issue with runaway IP on his brand new Apeks XTX200 set and was forlorn because the only spare on the boat was a beat up old Mares thing that may or may not have been useable. He was about to cry because we were headed to the deep ledge and it was his goal for the trip. No problem young techy feller, I reached in my bag and pulled out my Core Supreme (DIN) and rigged with long hose and the works (I carry it for spare as it is absolutely reliable). With dubious looks he took it from me and I told him it will not let him down. Well, to shorten the story, after the first of three dives he used it on that day, he gushed over how it breathed as well as his XTX200 and that he entirely forgot that it was not.

Yes, I am a fan of the Titan LX/Core/Helix Pro because they fit into a performance for dollar niche that is hard to beat for value.

James

In my dive group we have a pair each of Aqualung Legends and Core Supremes. If I were buying again I'd save the money and get the Cores instead of the Legends - they breath just as well and are much lighter and more compact. I don't miss the adjustment knob on the second stage at all when using the Core instead of the Legend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom