Which red filter? PolarPro vs Backscatter Flip3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I both ordered the new Polar Pro red filter with macro and both of our red filters were cracked after a few dives. Yes, it may be glass but very thin.. We are attributing the slight flexing in the glass that occurs when installing and removing the filter from the camera housing as to the cause for the cracking. We are not real happy about it..

I will contact Polar Pro and see what they will do about it..

I will keep this board updated as to the outcome!

I just got a email from Polar Pro today and they have confirmed that they will replace mine with a new model they plan on having out in December which is much more durable.

Recommend glass filters over plastic, plastic has an electrostatic property that attracts and holds bubbles and have even seen bubbles form on a plastic filter underwater with a camera on a tripod. Glass seems to quickly let go of any bubbles in the water and have not seen any form, de novo, on glass.

I'll be getting a GoPro 3 Black Edition in the next week or two. Been using the GoPro 2 a lot with the Backscatter red filter flip lens. I'll have to say that I will never shoot video without a filter. It makes a huge difference! I plan on getting the 3.1 for multiple lenses for my Tahiti trip.

Can you please show us some video or pictures at different depths with the backscatter? I am looking to buy a filter and dont know which one will be best

How do you read this? I can't understand, can anyone paraphrase, I'm no linguist nerd, but this is a hot mess.

I have both with my 3....the reds are better with the flip3.1...I have the 55 ring adapter for the flip3.1 for a +10 macro lens BUT polar pro's red+macro is the ONLY one on the market you can use macro AND the red at the same time.....with the flip3 and the flip 3.1 you can only use one filter at a time so no filtred macro with the flip BUT again....with the polar pro you can...on the flip3.1 with NO video lights the macro is uselesss without the red filter even with top end video editing software.... the polar pro......<30' is tooo red and >80' there isnt enough.....so for a multilevel dive the 3.1 with "dive" and "deep" filters are optimum

so im gonna say the flip 3.1 with 55mm ring adapter is the most versatile IF your have video lights and the polar pro is better for filtered macro with no video lights

How do you read this? I can't understand, can anyone paraphrase, I'm no linguist nerd, but this is a hot mess.
It is somewhat comprehensible if you try a few times. When you do... You will feel like a pro!! :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom