Which red filter? PolarPro vs Backscatter Flip3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't taken my Hero3 under water yet. I don't have any external lights, so I figured a red filter would be helpful. Any thoughts on the PolarPro vs the Backscatter Flip3? I prefer the cost on the PolarPro, but like the idea of being able to just flip the filter up versus removing it.

Thanks,
Dave

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 02:42 PM ----------

I hit the submit button too quickly. After posting, I realized there are a bunch of posts on this topic. No need for further comments on this one - I'll spend some time tonight digging through the history.

Dave

Let us know what you decide on and why?

I have to say the ability of the Backscatter with the flip lenses including a flip macro is awesome. It makes switching to lights easy and throwing on the macro a breeze as well. If I didn't already have the SRP filter i'd probably get the backscatter.
Only thing im not to fond of is so many different red filters for different depths. You can't have them all mounted and ready for use on the same dive.

I'll be getting a GoPro 3 Black Edition in the next week or two. Been using the GoPro 2 a lot with the Backscatter red filter flip lens. I'll have to say that I will never shoot video without a filter. It makes a huge difference! I plan on getting the 3.1 for multiple lenses for my Tahiti trip.

I have both with my 3....the reds are better with the flip3.1...I have the 55 ring adapter for the flip3.1 for a +10 macro lens BUT polar pro's red+macro is the ONLY one on the market you can use macro AND the red at the same time.....with the flip3 and the flip 3.1 you can only use one filter at a time so no filtred macro with the flip BUT again....with the polar pro you can...on the flip3.1 with NO video lights the macro is uselesss without the red filter even with top end video editing software.... the polar pro......<30' is tooo red and >80' there isnt enough.....so for a multilevel dive the 3.1 with "dive" and "deep" filters are optimum

so im gonna say the flip 3.1 with 55mm ring adapter is the most versatile IF your have video lights and the polar pro is better for filtered macro with no video lights

Having looked this all through, that Backscatter flip 3.1 with two 55mm attachments is they way I would and probably will go. Difference being I will use my SRP 55mm Red filter I already have and just purchase another 55mm Macro +10 filter. That for my purposes is the perfect setup.

From the results I've seen, a good quality red filter like SRP's performs well throughout the depths from 25' to 70'. Even deeper it still adds a good amount of color, or the use of lights comes into play. Swapping out 3 different red filters may be optimal but overkill and unnecessary. Anything bellow 25 ft I don't use filters, I use WB card color correcting in post. I have yet to try a shallow water red filter. Also, if i'm shooting macro, i'm using lights.

Go SRP And don't look back

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

That's the cool thing about the Backscatter flip 3.1 housing with is that with two 55mm adapters you can use SRP's 55mm CY filter and SRP's 55mm +10 Macro. You can swap in between both with a simple flick.

Like this setup but with a 2nd 55mm adapter up top.

Flip31_55mm_Adapter.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy and I both ordered the new Polar Pro red filter with macro and both of our red filters were cracked after a few dives. Yes, it may be glass but very thin.. We are attributing the slight flexing in the glass that occurs when installing and removing the filter from the camera housing as to the cause for the cracking. We are not real happy about it..

I will contact Polar Pro and see what they will do about it..

I will keep this board updated as to the outcome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom