Which red filter for Hero 3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SRP solutions are superior in my opinion. HOWEVER - I have found their new plastic lenses (cy dome) to scratch very easily. I think its just the nature of a plastic lens. You must practice the utmost care otherwise you will scratch the lens. For my frequent diving on the wrecks and reefs in South Florida its impractical to think that I could last even a day without scratching it. For what its worth the lens does come with a case. Instead of the Blurfix 3 with the CY dome, I use their Blurfix3 Naked, along with the URPRO 55mm CY lens. This has yielded excellent results for me, and is much more durable than the plastic lens solution. I have to say I have been using the Snake River Products for years, and have had excellent luck not only with their products, but with their customer service as well. I highly recommend doing business with them.

This very ugly clip is something I cut out just to show how the polarpro works, I do not use the gopro for movies just for special things like entering the water or timelapse so I was having it attached on my shoulder and not framing the shot. Still it gives you an idea of the filter. After this trips and thanks to Toozler I have modified this filter (more to follow on my blog) and that little halo on the corners that comes up in very bright days has gone away
[vimeo]63011062[/vimeo]

This very ugly clip is something I cut out just to show how the polarpro works, I do not use the gopro for movies just for special things like entering the water or timelapse so I was having it attached on my shoulder and not framing the shot. Still it gives you an idea of the filter. After this trips and thanks to Toozler I have modified this filter (more to follow on my blog) and that little halo on the corners that comes up in very bright days has gone away
[vimeo]63011062[/vimeo]

Your vid has nice colors, at what depth were you shooting the footage?

Hi everyone, I am using PolarPro for my GoPro Hero2 as well and mounted on an XShot monopod. I have an extra Intova SportPro HD with its own red filter which my wife uses. For the most part, my vid below is shot using the HD Hero 2 with the PolarPro:
[video=youtube;AMLryHUl-nI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMLryHUl-nI[/video] (you might want to skip the initial part and jump directly to the 2:00 mark for all the underwater action.)

The discovery dive portion of the vid which is washed in blue was taken using the Olympus Mu 8010 so don't be surprised at the lack of color as there is no filter involved in that portion of the footage.

Quite a few more underwater vids on my channel you guys might want to check out.

I initially considered the SRP Filter but decided to go for the PolarPro Filters instead as the latter cost way, way, less. So far it hasn't disappointed me as they performed well within my expectations. Of course at deeper areas the PolarPro filter fails but I guess that goes for all red filters. My only beef with the product is that it seems to be easily scratched. My red one already looks a bit weathered and I've only used it for less than ten dives. :)

nice video and impressive editing, esp with the audio/video sync. if you have to ditch the polarpro at some point because of scratches, you might consider www.eelvision.com filters. the BG filter is great and goes inside the housing.

Just got back from Cozumel and used the SRP, and my H3B for that matter, for the first time diving. Just playing around a little with the footage and am very impressed with the footage so far. Might have time to post some clips in a few days.

I finally went for the SRP CYD, and added the CY. Most of my videos will be in blue water. Found a very nice baseplate/arms locally for $ 50, and ordered the SRP flexarms for videolights. Since I have both some LFM 850 lumens lights, and DRIS 1K available, I will experiment with them first, maybe make some DIY diffusers. The tray was in aluminium and way cheaper than SRP's...so my wife wants one for her Olympus P-06 housing :)

I finally went for the SRP CYD, and added the CY. Most of my videos will be in blue water. Found a very nice baseplate/arms locally for $ 50, and ordered the SRP flexarms for videolights. Since I have both some LFM 850 lumens lights, and DRIS 1K available, I will experiment with them first, maybe make some DIY diffusers. The tray was in aluminium and way cheaper than SRP's...so my wife wants one for her Olympus P-06 housing :)

The SRP flexarms are nothing else than locline parts that you can buy in DIY stores or in black at diving shops at $1 per segment plus maybe $4-6 for a base

An arm with less than 12 segments is useless am not sure what was is the logic behind something with 5 segments especially for that weird shape tray that wastes them just to be on the side of the camera you are probably needing 18 segments to make the light work decent and not like a torch

For what concerns scratches in the dome those are not an issue all filters get scratched and then filled with water they perform fine

Contrary to what many people think there are no wonderful optical pure quality that are needed it is for most a sheet of plastic as long as it is not badly dented and has homogenous density all is good

the problem with getting a filter that goes inside the housing is that it cannot be easily removed when you are at the surface. that give you less flexibility when shooting at shallow depths or when you want to capture footage from the boat. with a wet filter i can easily pop it off if i feel that i do not need to add reds on a given shot. the problem is taking care of it when not in use as it is prone to scratches. i think the rollpro III which i got previously will help me solve the problem with storage. :) I just place a small piece of bubble wrap and push it to one of the smaller pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom