Which red filter for Hero 3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divealpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm upgrading my rig, got an incredible offer on a PM-1 camera from Olympus for my wife, and are about to invest in a Hero 3 for myself. Theres are several filters around, Backscatter, SRP, and Polarpro. Any recommendations? The SRP tray/arms looks nice, and may enable me to use some diffused divelights as videolights...

We hope that you take a look at our selection of accessories. We offer some inexpensive camera tray options (single hand and two-hand) models, optional (modular) light and arms and of course filters for both the GP-2 and the newer GP-3 housings. We ship world wide and accept PayPal for international orders.

http://www.makospearguns.com/category-s/45.htm

mccl_sml.jpg

m2htct_sml.jpg

mar15h_sml.jpg

Not to sound curt or short, but there are numerous mind numbing filter topics that have been discussed to infinate and beyond on this GoPro Forum.

The search button is your friend, better sit down with a liter or two of beer, as mucho good discussion has already occured.

The RoncoRed filter has a special place in my heart, but is a close second to any of Snake Rivers higher quality modular system(s) for blue or green water..

Thanks....already looked around a bit, doesn't get much wiser :) The Snake.. looks good, but not sure if I will have much use for the red filter, more likely the magenta for blue water, as I dive mostly in Asia and Malta. Will take a look at the other brand. The Youtubes videos doesn't make things any clearer though. I'm using Elements for post editing...

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

but not sure if I will have much use for the red filter, more likely the magenta for blue water, as I dive mostly in Asia and Malta.

Opposite: Magenta is best for green waters, red is best for tropical and blue waters (for ex. Malta, Asia)......

Hey that mako filter looks promising. Appears better than polarpro for less money. I might pick one up as a back up to my srp dome. Will wait for some reviews /feedback.

Well I cannot provide a comparison as I only have the SRP CY dome. But the difference between before and after this buy is fantatic. If you use in addiotn post pro you definitively need a red filter. Without filter I struggled a lot to try to introduce some reds in a movie without , and it's very hard, now it's just two minutes adjustement for finalizing the color I want.
I recommend also you think about some lights, I really appreciate to use them in conjunction with the red filter, as if the theory tells you it's wrong :)

Seems any filter brand will do the job, but the Snake Rivers may be the one , since you have more possibilities using the 55mm threading for macro converters etc... But will the CYD/Blurfix filter do the job in blue waters, or should I choose the CY AND buy the Blurfix naked adapter? The CYD has the adapter included for USD 77,-, if I choose the CY I''ll still need the adapter.... Most of my vids and pics will be in the tropic anyhow.

I have had great results with the eelvision BG filter. www.eelvision.com
[video=youtube_share;EINPDxaheEY]http://youtu.be/EINPDxaheEY[/video]

Just tried the Eelvision red filter and honestly not sure if it made too big of a difference, or maybe my expectation was too high. Before my next trip I would probably spring for a another one for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom