Which Quick release tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! I have 2 cats and I love them! Had them since they were kittens and they snuggle down on top of me every night. :)

And, you may not know this, but I am actually disabled also. Yep, a handicap placard-toting, official, permanent disability-having ... uh... person. I don't think I have ever mentioned that here on ScubaBoard because it does not actually impact my ability to function as a diver or a scuba professional. And if it does not affect my ability to function as a diver or a scuba professional, why WOULD I ever mention it?

I do think that might be a difference between my DGX ones and, for example, the actual ScubaPro QR tank band on my ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD. I think the webbing used on the DGX straps may stretch a bit more when it gets wet. When they are thoroughly soaked and I adjust them to be tight on my tanks, the next time I try to put them on dry, they are usually too tight for me to fasten the buckle. I have to soak them for a minute first and let them relax a bit. Or, adjust them a little looser and then possibly adjust them a little tighter again after the first dive. It WOULD be nice if they were exactly the same amount stretchy wet or dry.

Well darn, that's not what I wanted to hear. I haven't run into a place where I couldn't get them wet first, but that's still kind of a pain. Right now I still have them tightened on the tank I was diving with, so hopefully that will stretch them a bit.....maybe?!?

I think they're 1.5" as opposed to the original 2". I wonder if that makes a difference....

I thought we were talking about cam straps.

My perspective is not so different than what has been expressed already, but the OP must understand that the people who seem to be insisting that she can pursue additional professional training, are in reality, salesmen who have a huge conflict of interest. There is no sale if they say "you're not qualified".

I don't suppose there are a lot of negatives associated with receiving DM training. Many people who have DM or higher certifications don't actively teach or supervise divers. I'm sure MOST DM (and higher) divers don't train others or assume supervisory roles. Most are probably "inactive" and don't carry the necessary liability insurance.

I know that if I had disabilities which were as significant as described, I would be very hesitant to take on a professional role and accept a position which places me as responsible for the safety of novices.

I think there are personal responsibility issues at play, as well as legal liabilities. Being "weak" and disabled and deciding to place oneself in a vulnerable position from a legal liability standpoint, might, in retrospect, be viewed as a very poor decision when the first accident occurs - regardless of the actual actions the disabled DM took.

When an accident happens, you can be sure the "sharks" will be circling and when the lawyers discover a disabled Professional was involved - I can't imagine that they wouldn't focus on that aspect - regardless of the actual relevance.

Don't fall into the ridiculous mind set of "if I train really well and be careful - then I can avoid all accidents by preventing them". People are going to do stupid stuff and you can't always protect them from themselves.

Deciding to "work" as a dive professional should involve a lot of introspection, and any advice from sales people should be viewed carefully.

The only way one can inform and help you work out your situation is if one knows what your situation is, not by guessing at the puzzle created by bits and pieces of information and hints that you drop about yourself. That's the point.
And that's what I did. I presented my situation (bad wrists, no desire to lift anything, please suggest if/which QD camband would work for my situation). What puzzle are you talking about? Simple reading comprehension, my friend. It wasn't that complicated... How many more times would you like me to repeat myself? Or do you demand my full medical records in order to understand the "puzzle?"

The only one being judgemental is you. The only one placing labels on folks in this thread is you. The only one being contentious is you. The rest of us are here to help...definitely not to flex and/or show off.
Teeheehee, if that's how you want to look at it, i'm afraid we have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between passing a Rescue course as a recreational diver, and having a professional responsibility - a legal duty of care - to provide adequate rescue services, if you will.
Oh come on, you know this line of argument is silly and has been debated to death on SB, most recently here Rescue or ???

If you are a recreational diver with Rescue certification, and you are diving with a buddy who becomes in distress, and you are not physically able to do what is needed to save that diver, you have no legal liability for that and, in my opinion, you have no ethical failing, either. You can only do what you can do and you are not responsible for doing any more than what you can do while still keeping yourself safe. And there is no standard that defines some level for what you SHOULD be able to do.

All that changes when you step into the role of scuba professional. Now, there are higher standards for what you should be able to do in regards to assisting a diver in distress, as defined by each agency. Further, in my opinion, there are higher standards for what I think any professional SHOULD be able to do in regards to assisting a diver in distress. So, passing a Rescue class is great (really!). But, aceing it does not at all say to me that any given person has what is needed to step up to the role of a professional.

Anybody (more or less) can learn to drive a car. That does not mean that anyone is really suited to being a professional driver. And especially not to driving as a pro at the highest levels (i.e. professional race car driver). Yes, I just compared being directly responsible for the safety of other divers to being a race car driver. When other people's safety is in your hands, you need to be able to not just perform, but perform at a high level.

Having your Rescue cert is like saying you can even drive in New York City. But, it does not mean you have what it takes to get out on the track and race at the Nurburgring.
Yeah...? The Earth is round, the ocean is salty, cats are the most majestic, you're just stating the obvious. What's your point?

"I'm 5'2" and 110lbs" is not an acceptable excuse (in my mind) for "that's why I couldn't get that non-responsive diver out of the water." If your stature, strength, or stamina means you are not physically up to the (potential) requirements of the job, stepping into the role means you are endangering your customers. Just like a fireman who can't carry an unconscious person out of a building.
Uhm you're allowed to refuse to work with customers you don't feel you can adequately take care of. nobody will force my fins and make me be in charge of a 7ft new OW diver.

Your last paragraph is what I find most concerning. The entirety of that paragraph translates as "I can't do it by myself, but I can help others get the job done."

The litmus test for me as an SDI Open Water Instructor is "is this person I've just trained someone that I would feel comfortable letting a loved one dive with?" I feel similarly about this. Would I let a loved one dive in the care of a divemaster who was not competent and able to accomplish a rescue completely on their own? I would not.
Huge difference between "Absolutely cannot do something" and knowing and leveraging your strengths and weaknesses as well as that of your team. Nothing in my sentences says I can't accomplish a rescue completely on my own. if I couldn't do that, my instructors wouldn't have passed me with flying colors. Logic.

I would not put a loved one in the care of a divemaster for whom the simple, yet fundamentally important task of being able to disconnect a low pressure inflator is excruciatingly painful. Every person has a point where pain will prevent them from completing a task. Being able to complete it while experiencing excruciating pain is good, but you are VASTLY closer to that limit of failing to complete it than other people. In a diving emergency, can you really say that nothing else will be happening that would result in you getting pushed just past that limit - where you are unable to complete a vital task - where most any "able" scuba professional would have no problem completing the same task?
Silly pee, that's why i want to go through the training. isn't that the point of training - stretching your limits and getting you used to being out of your comfort zone? Wouldn't you think I'm a safer dive buddy now that I can begrudgingly disconnect a stuck LPI rather than hating the pain soooo much I don't even want to practice the skill?

What makes you think you are and other "abled" dive pros are infallable and would have no problem completing all the tasks? Disabled or less able diver pros can still excel in skills some albe-bodied dive pros are less proficient in. The key is to utilize strength in diversity.

And, to be clear, this is not about whether you are "disabled" or not. The same thing goes for some of the scuba professionals I have seen that are not labeled as "disabled", but are grossly overweight, grossly out of shape, and/or, essentially, do not have nearly the physical strength that they should. Any of those reasons could mean they are not the "able" scuba professional that I referred to.
And any of those reasons could also mean they are working hard to overcome their limitations and compensate for their different physical abilities, maybe even turning them into strengths (for example, because of my health issues, I happen to have very strong build-in bodily and situational awareness, making finetuning my own diving skills and keeping an eye on other divers easier to do). Making the assumption that "disabled" or "overweight" (btw do we really have to be fatphobic besides being ableist here?) would likely not be accomplished dive pros is just prejudiced and narrow-minded.

If a loved one is diving with a divemaster, no matter what else happens, I want to know that my loved one is not going to drown just because the DM was too weak or out of shape to save them - where any DM that had decent strength and stamina could have saved them.
I can actually assure you your loved ones would be much safer buddy-diving with me than the slightly above average diver out there. You want your loved ones to dive with someone who would jump immediately over to help without any hesitant. A physically strong but liability-avoidant buddy might still leave your loved ones to drown, but someone like me would do everything I can and try to be as smart as possible to save and help anyone in need.

In my opinion, if you can't do it by yourself, you should leave the role to someone who can. But, as I said earlier, it is up to you and instructor to decide.
Here's where we disagree. All of my RAID instructors emphasized first thing in my Master Rescue course, that after quickly assessing the victims/situation, I must always start by looking around for extra help, and use extra help effectively. You should know and be able to do everything, but you must also be able to delegate tasks and effectively manage human resources. No reason to be tough and take it all on your own.

Also, help whenever you can. Even if you can't do it by yourself, learn as much as you can so you can help whoever in charge effectively. Even if you can't do anything, STILL LEARN so you know where and how to step aside and leave space for those who can. KEEP LEARNING and BE ACTIVE in any situation. The mentality of 'I can't do it so i won't bother," kills.

If you think you can do it and an instructor (and I hold RAID in high regard) thinks you can do it, and you want to take on that responsibility, then (again) more power to you.
Again, this is all that needed to be said!

Hey! I have 2 cats and I love them! Had them since they were kittens and they snuggle down on top of me every night. :)
Eight in my house at the moment! The Big Four are snugger addicts too.

And, you may not know this, but I am actually disabled also. Yep, a handicap placard-toting, official, permanent disability-having ... uh... person. I don't think I have ever mentioned that here on ScubaBoard because it does not actually impact my ability to function as a diver or a scuba professional. And if it does not affect my ability to function as a diver or a scuba professional, why WOULD I ever mention it?
Why WOULD you hide it? Do you go out of your way to not mention it? Your comment there sounds strikingly similar to all those people who still tell me, "Your sexuality is irrelevant to our dinner conversation, why do you HAVE to bring up your female partner? Why do you gays always have to talk about being gay?" Oh ok, I thought that's what was being asked. Again, since you missed this detailed I've repeated over and over a few times: @Marie13 asked me a question, the answer to which is my being disabled. It would have been weird if I avoid saying the D word, even though in retrospect it might have saved the sensitivity of so many people here.

the OP must understand that the people who seem to be insisting that she can pursue additional professional training, are in reality, salesmen who have a huge conflict of interest. There is no sale if they say "you're not qualified".
Kinda insulting of you to assume I'm not already aware of the conflict of interest and that I lack critical thinking severely enough to easily be swayed by evil salespeople. You're displaying the same condescending thinking plaguing some fellow SB members. Perhaps trust that people are not all idiots?

Also, it would have saved you face if you've read everything I've written before voicing your presumtuous opinion. I in fact have literally spelled out my doubts and how I plan to continue exploring this topic in my previous comments.

I know that if I had disabilities which were as significant as described, I would be very hesitant to take on a professional role and accept a position which places me as responsible for the safety of novices.
Hey, people can make a "That's What She Said!" joke right here!

I like my scubapro quick release band as well as the aqualung equivalent. But with these, as well as regular cam bands, there is a leverage point where there is a lot of relative force to be applied. Have you tried the Apollo bio tank band? It uses a screw thread to provide all the mechanical advantage of tightening.
Reviews for Apollo Bio Tank Lock 138-13-79-802

Kinda insulting of you to assume I'm not already aware of the conflict of interest and that I lack critical thinking severely enough to easily be swayed by evil salespeople. You're displaying the same condescending thinking plaguing some fellow SB members. Perhaps trust that people are not all idiots?

Also, it would have saved you face if you've read everything I've written before voicing your presumtuous opinion. I in fact have literally spelled out my doubts and how I plan to continue exploring this topic in my previous comments.

Hey, people can make a "That's What She Said!" joke right here!

I have no idea about "thats what she said" means?

Sorry you felt that my input was condescending and presumptuous. I won't offer any more - other than to wish you good luck

Reactions: Zef
Why WOULD you hide it? Do you go out of your way to not mention it? Your comment there sounds strikingly similar to all those people who still tell me, "Your sexuality is irrelevant to our dinner conversation, why do you HAVE to bring up your female partner? Why do you gays always have to talk about being gay?" Oh ok, I thought that's what was being asked. Again, since you missed this detailed I've repeated over and over a few times: @Marie13 asked me a question, the answer to which is my being disabled. It would have been weird if I avoid saying the D word, even though in retrospect it might have saved the sensitivity of so many people here.

I don't hide it. I also don't throw it in people's faces. It does not affect my scuba diving - and this is a forum for discussing scuba diving, so it was never relevant before. It became relevant here, so I mentioned it.

My point was not to imply that you should not have explained your disability. My point was that if it did not affect your ability to scuba dive, there would have been no reason to mention it here.

Your disability does affect your ability to scuba dive. It was the driving factor behind your first post in this thread. From what you have said, it sounds like it affects you enough that you can work around it to accomplish required tasks, but it also sounds like, at the end of the day, there will always be some things that a fully able diver COULD do that you would not be able to - some scenarios where there is no workaround to inadequate wrist strength or pain that is so great that a required task simply cannot be completed without help. If you become a scuba professional, my opinion is that you should always utilize all resources to the best of your ability. But, it's always possible that something could happen where there simply IS no one else to help you - at least, not when the help is required to save someone's life or save them from serious injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom