Which of the following is your preference for side mount, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjjohnson36

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gearing up to dive sidemount primarily, and really have no experience in any of these set ups, nor am I extremely knowledgeable in what makes any of them better than the others, so I am seeking your opinions on the following, or suggestions on something different, but please be specific about the why's, what you like best about it, and what you hate about it.
Katana 2
Stealth 2.0 tec
Or???
I would like it to have 40 or more lbs of lift, dual bladders, and multiple dump valves.
I appreciate your help and opinions.

You need to take a class.
I am going to take a class, I am asking opinions on equipment.
You did not give a single one on equipment.
I thought I stated clearly that I am neither experienced or knowledgeable in the subject matter...
So, do you have an honest opinion on the 2 pieces of equipment I asked about?

Don’t have a stealth but do have a K2, a nomad ray, an Apeks wsx (wing) and a homemade monstrosity or two. I like the shape of the K2 wing when inflated but I hate all the extra crap that comes on the harness and the QFS is unnecessarily bulky. It’s easy enough to replace or remove the excess components if you are savvy. If you search around you can find what I did to mine and how. I still dive my K2 but at this point I prefer my nomad ray (I also gutted the **** out of it and all the unnecessary hardware.)

What is your intended usage for SM? Why are you even looking at SM? Why do you think you need redundant bladders? Why do you think you need __X__ amount of lift? If you NEED that much lift and redundant buoyancy shouldn’t you be considering diving dry? Why do you want multiple dumps? Isn’t the inflator hose a backup dump?

Those questions aren’t meant to be flippant, just pointing you towards questioning some of your “needs”.

I’m not gonna tell you to ask your instructor , I believe asking here first is a good idea especially given you’re self admitted ignorance (I respect that).

I was lucky enough to try both the Katana 2 and a Stealth 2.0 tec (redundant bladder & single) and here were my thoughts as to why I chose the stealth with a single bladder.

1. Katanas quick sizing whilst brilliant if needed I figured was pointless for me, once I'm fitted its not gonna need much more in its lifetime and it just felt like a failure point waiting to happen (sure plenty other will say otherwise).
  2. Stealth Tec just felt like it could be run over by several cars and would be fine, didn't get that same rugged feeling from the Katana (I know plenty use and love the Katana).
  3. Preferred the stealth's weight options when buying think was like 4 options to the Katanas 2....something along those lines
  4. I also already have easier access to X-Deep replacement parts, but with the tinterweb that is a reasonably mute point these days.
  5. They dive fantastically once set up as do most SM BCDs, but just felt more solid than the Katana in the water.
  6. In the end the people I dive with for the most part are Stealth tec 2 divers so getting help with adjustments and ideas for minor set ups was easier. But one friend did go from stealth to Katana 2 for the below reasons.
I did like the Katana 2 for the following
  1. Its inflator hose, loved a lot more than the stealth, softer and more maneuverable, not that point makes much difference when in the water. Just preferred it
  2. Katanas quick release buckle. again preferred that, felt more secure and easier to use, so much so may replace the stealths with one.
  3. Supremely easy to adjust and set up, hats off to Hollis on that one. That thing is an Instructors best friend.
  4. Its easy adjustment made it an easier system to get adjusted to dive with.
  5. Felt solid, but not as solid as the X-Deep in my opinion.
Redundant Bladder I just wasn't a fan of, both the above are solid as hell with rigid sections on the top of the bladder designed to take a beating and a half. If you pierce the bladder then something has gone absolutely horrifically wrong. These things are tanks, but everyone has their own preference in the end.

I did have the X-Deep Classic tec set up as well first...I hated that thing with a passion unknown to man, hence buying a new BCD. Thankfully the classic was given to me by a departing mate who had moved on to the stealth. So when choosing I was originally leaning more towards the Katana. Thankfully I had access to both in the dry and in the water before spending my pennies. The Classic I found an absolute faff, having a separated bladder from Harness for me is just annoying as hell and just not my cup of tea. I get why they did it and why Razor and some others do it based on the diving its designed for...just not for me. Although I did preferer the harness on the Classic compared to the stealth, softer and more comfortable. But thats about it.

All three units I had only had 1 dump valve. Iv not seen either with any more in my experience so far

Good luck on deciding, if you can try get your hands on as many BCDs and see what you feel like playing about with them, really no substitute, we people are fickle things in the end.

Dive 11l allys in general warm water, but few mates have had 0 issues with dry suits with both sets ups, they preferred the softer Katana to the x-deep. xdeeps harnesses are very stiff.

Gearing up to dive sidemount primarily, and really have no experience in any of these set ups, nor am I extremely knowledgeable in what makes any of them better than the others, so I am seeking your opinions on the following, or suggestions on something different, but please be specific about the why's, what you like best about it, and what you hate about it.
Katana 2
Stealth 2.0 tec
Or???
I would like it to have 40 or more lbs of lift, dual bladders, and multiple dump valves.
I appreciate your help and opinions.
None of the above.

Start with a *good* instructor who's doing the dives you aspire to. Then work with them to decide on the right equipment for those dives.

You are renting the gear for your first class, right? A good instructor should have a variety of gear on hand and let you try it. And offer helpful suggestions as to what you might want to try and how to set it up based on your objectives and what he sees in the water.

My instructor had both available. He heavily recommended the Stealth Tec and I'd agree, it's the better system.

Not need for RB or additional OPVs.

I was lucky enough to try both the Katana 2 and a Stealth 2.0 tec (redundant bladder & single) and here were my thoughts as to why I chose the stealth with a single bladder.

1. Katanas quick sizing whilst brilliant if needed I figured was pointless for me, once I'm fitted its not gonna need much more in its lifetime and it just felt like a failure point waiting to happen (sure plenty other will say otherwise).
  2. Stealth Tec just felt like it could be run over by several cars and would be fine, didn't get that same rugged feeling from the Katana (I know plenty use and love the Katana).
  3. Preferred the stealth's weight options when buying think was like 4 options to the Katanas 2....something along those lines
  4. I also already have easier access to X-Deep replacement parts, but with the tinterweb that is a reasonably mute point these days.
  5. They dive fantastically once set up as do most SM BCDs, but just felt more solid than the Katana in the water.
  6. In the end the people I dive with for the most part are Stealth tec 2 divers so getting help with adjustments and ideas for minor set ups was easier. But one friend did go from stealth to Katana 2 for the below reasons.
I did like the Katana 2 for the following
  1. Its inflator hose, loved a lot more than the stealth, softer and more maneuverable, not that point makes much difference when in the water. Just preferred it
  2. Katanas quick release buckle. again preferred that, felt more secure and easier to use, so much so may replace the stealths with one.
  3. Supremely easy to adjust and set up, hats off to Hollis on that one. That thing is an Instructors best friend.
  4. Its easy adjustment made it an easier system to get adjusted to dive with.
  5. Felt solid, but not as solid as the X-Deep in my opinion.
Redundant Bladder I just wasn't a fan of, both the above are solid as hell with rigid sections on the top of the bladder designed to take a beating and a half. If you pierce the bladder then something has gone absolutely horrifically wrong. These things are tanks, but everyone has their own preference in the end.

I did have the X-Deep Classic tec set up as well first...I hated that thing with a passion unknown to man, hence buying a new BCD. Thankfully the classic was given to me by a departing mate who had moved on to the stealth. So when choosing I was originally leaning more towards the Katana. Thankfully I had access to both in the dry and in the water before spending my pennies. The Classic I found an absolute faff, having a separated bladder from Harness for me is just annoying as hell and just not my cup of tea. I get why they did it and why Razor and some others do it based on the diving its designed for...just not for me. Although I did preferer the harness on the Classic compared to the stealth, softer and more comfortable. But thats about it.

All three units I had only had 1 dump valve. Iv not seen either with any more in my experience so far

Good luck on deciding, if you can try get your hands on as many BCDs and see what you feel like playing about with them, really no substitute, we people are fickle things in the end.

Dive 11l allys in general warm water, but few mates have had 0 issues with dry suits with both sets ups, they preferred the softer Katana to the x-deep. xdeeps harnesses are very stiff.

I guess webbing can be replaced with softer altertnative #caugh# Halcyon.
Or did you find whole rig stiff af?

If you search around you can find what I did to mine
This is exactly what I was searching for, thank you!
Was there anything you removed that you found later that you wish you would have left on it?
What is your intended usage for SM?
I am in the process of earning my spot in the technical world, currently in PSD, and am heavily diving off into penetration and overhead environments.
I also like the idea of diving it at recreational limits as I feel it is more streamlined, better weight distribution, and easier to manage valves, gas, and so on.

Katanas quick sizing whilst brilliant if needed I figured was pointless for me, once I'm fitted its not gonna need much more in its lifetime
I completely agree. When I first read this option, I thought it was awesome, but then reflected on the fact that I have not changed the setting up of my bp/w in pretty much forever...
od luck on deciding, if you can try get your hands on as many BCDs and see what you feel like playing about with them, really no substitute,
This is almost impossible in my area, the tech world is not as large as it used to be unless I drive over to Florida. I wish I could go in a lds and be able to play with a few different ones, especially the tec.

I do dive both wet and dry, depends on temps and planned times.
I understand that asking my instructor is a viable option, and I assure you, I ask and rely heavily on his opinion, HOWEVER, I also realize he is only one of many people that dive sidemount, and I would rather get a consensus of opinions than to immediately follow just one person's opinion.
I tell my students all the time when they ask my opinion on gear, do not dive it just because I like it. I am particular about my wants and fit, and they may not like what I like. That they would be much better educated by asking many people of their opinions so that they get a better pool of options to base their decisions on instead of just mine. Do it in a democracy type method instead of a dictatorship style.

I appreciate the answers thus far, some great and thoughtful responses!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom