Which Nikon Flash? SB-400 or SB-600 (above water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So which Nikon Flash is preferred?

the SB-400 ($99) or the SB-600 ($172) for above water use?

Would be using with a D40 and D40x with a 18-135mm and 18-200mm VR mostly.
and maybe something like a D80/D90/D200 later on (wishful thinking).

I like the SB-400 because it's smaller, lighter and uses only 2 AA's as opposed to 4.

But the SB-600 has some extra features, but cost more, bigger/weights more, and more batteries to deal with carrying.

Any pro's/con's to each or likes/dislikes?

SB-400

sb-400-KEN_8318.jpg
ready-light-KEN_8330.jpg

SB-600

sb600.jpg
sb600back.jpg

You can do more with the SB-600 than the 400. The 600 can be angled to bounce the flash off different surfaces for better effects where as the 400 is just a bigger version of the built in flash.

I'm looking into getting the 600 for my D60 shortly and from what I've read it will be the better of the two for how/what I want to shoot. Your situation may be different.

Just my two cents

BP

I use the SB600 first w/ my D50 and now with my D300. It's a lot more versitle than the 400 and while it is a bit bigger the adjustability of its settings and ability to move the head all over really opens up opportunities for lighting. It's worth the extra few dollars.

The only reason I'd use the 400 is to slave it and most likely bounce it off something or use it with a diffuser.

by the way, where are you seeing it for $172??! That's a steal! I may pick up a second!

You can do more with the SB-600 than the 400. The 600 can be angled to bounce the flash off different surfaces for better effects where as the 400 is just a bigger version of the built in flash.

I'm looking into getting the 600 for my D60 shortly and from what I've read it will be the better of the two for how/what I want to shoot. Your situation may be different.

Just my two cents

BP

I understand the 600 has more features... I just don't know that I'll use them all.
I think if I used the extra features (and maybe I will) then the extra $$ is not a big deal.

The major thing I like about the SB-400 is its more compact for carrying around.

by the way, where are you seeing it for $172??! That's a steal! I may pick up a second!

Amazon has it for $172 with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Nikon SB-600 Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

so does Adorama

4802 Nikon SB-600 TTL AF Shoe Mount Speedlight, Guide Number at 35mm Zoom Head Position, 30/98 (ISO 100, m/ft), USA Warranty.

You can find it for cheaper at some other stores (like $155), but they all have less than 1 out of 10 on ResellerRating.com and lots of reviews of bait-and-switch scams. Just not worth the hassle of having to deal with them to try to save $20 bucks.

I would go with the 600. I own the 800 and 95% of the time I will bounce it indoors. I rarely shoot it pointing it straight ahead, it creates too many shadows.
I believe the 600 is more powerful than the 400.

Mike,

I do get the smaller size but as acamato said - I NEVER point the 600 straight at what I'm shooting. I've got a diffuser and a reflector card and almost always use bounced light to soften it and avoid shadows / harsh effects.

I used to have a lowepro 100 slingbag which fit my D50, 70-300vr, 18-55 and Tamron 90mm in the main body and put the SB600 in the top zip pouch. Still a small bag that had everything I needed.

Now with the D300 and 16-85vr (retired the 18-55) I had to move up to a larger bag and got this KATA bag - Amazon.com: Kata-Manfrotto KT DR-465-BRMP Digital Rucksack Promotional Bundle with Free Manfrotto 790B Modo Monopod (Black with Red Accents): Camera & Photo
which fits everything quite well. A bit heavy though!!

well.... "bagging it" was a small concern. I use two bags. One larger one that will hold "everthing" and another smaller LowePro that will hold the body and 2 lens and not much room for anything else.

I think I can get the SB400 under the flap where the body goes, but not the SB-600.

I think I might buy both. My father is retired and does photo as a hobby. I might buy him one and me the other and we can swap out as needed. (for when you need a lighter "travel flash", use the SB-400 and the SB-600 for more detailed stuff).

I bought the 400 when I went to Egypt. We did a tour of a temple at night. The 400 was not powerful enough. I'd get the 600. I was next to another person with a Nikon D200, I have a Nikon D80, and she said "Nice to know" when she saw the effect.

I bought the 400 when I went to Egypt. We did a tour of a temple at night. The 400 was not powerful enough. I'd get the 600. I was next to another person with a Nikon D200, I have a Nikon D80, and she said "Nice to know" when she saw the effect.

"nice to know" ? meaning that she was glad to know the SB-400 wasn't powerfull enough for that task? (and glad she didn't buy it?).

thanks.

I just returned from a seminar that compared the SB-400, 600, 800, and the 900. The SB-600 has many more features than the SB-400 as has been written already. Both can be uses as slaves with the Nikon Creative Lighting System (r).

If I replace my SB-24 units, I would get the SB-600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom