Which Motor for a 14' Inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoddu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased a 14' wood floored, inflatable keel, inflatable boat from Baltik boats (the same as the Saturn SD430). Now I need to get a motor for it. I'm trying to decide between 2-stroke, four-stroke, new, used, in the 25-40hp range with a 15" shaft. I'm mainly looking for advice on 2 or 4 stroke and brand suggestions, but any advice on setting up the boat for diving, or where to get a good deal on a motor in Southern California would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry to hear that, should have purchased a rigid hull.......:(

Get the maximum horsepower the boat is rated for. Ever hear someone say their boat has too much power? If you can afford it, go with a four stroke. I am personally a two stroke fan but for that application I think you will be happier with a four stroke. Less smell, once again, I like the two stroke smell and the new ones almost don't smell, but a four stoke won't smell so you won't have to hear people complain. Also, on an inflatable, with a four stroke you won't have to worry about any two stroke oil.

Well, I looked at a couple used rigid hulls, and thought they were over-priced for the condition they were in and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I know nothing about and get a piece of junk. Plus, I wanted something that would fit in the space behind my garage and would be light enough for me to push the trailer and boat back there by myself.

stoddu:
I just purchased a 14' wood floored, inflatable keel, inflatable boat from Baltik boats (the same as the Saturn SD430). Now I need to get a motor for it. I'm trying to decide between 2-stroke, four-stroke, new, used, in the 25-40hp range with a 15" shaft. I'm mainly looking for advice on 2 or 4 stroke and brand suggestions, but any advice on setting up the boat for diving, or where to get a good deal on a motor in Southern California would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I have an Avon of similar size and construction. I had both a 15 HP 2 cycle and a 35 Hp 2 cycle. In the water the 35 is enough motor, and is a lot more fun than the 15(go figure:wink: )

I sold the 15.

Out of the water I sometimes wish I still had the 15. Depending on how you plan to launch the boat. i.e. hand carried or rolled over sandy beaches, the smaller lighter motor is a huge plus. When I used the Avon as a tender for a larger craft the 15 was much more managable if I had to remove or refit the motor on the Avon off the swimstep of the larger boat.

With the 35 and just two people in the Avon it's pretty easy to get air borne ( or atleast that's the way it feels) I'd bet a 25 would provide all the speed you could use in many situations, short of glassy water. The 25 will be easier to hump around.

Inflatables are big fun, enjoy.

Tobin

I have used a similar soft hull Novurania inflatible since 1984, 14 footer and before that an Achilles 12 footer. Normally I would tell you to get the biggest engine possible and for my Novuarania that is a 50 horse but I strongly recommend a 20 to 25 horse wreighing in the 100 pound range. The no longer produced two stroke (carburated, non EFI/DFI) Merc 25 weighed 100 pounds and that is the engine I used on both boats. It has plenty of power and most importantly, I could pick it up and mount it and remove it without a crane. Anything much beyond 120 pounds will tax the strength of even muscular sorts (which I am not but I always made friends with them--lol)--trust me on that. Be sure and get your boat outfitted with "landing" or amphibious wheels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In lots of inland lakes 2 strokes have been banned. Something to think about."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, for the record, there is no truth in this statement, what has been banned are some older carburated non EPA/CARB compliant engines, most modern two strokes are actually more efficient and enviro friendly and have higher CARB ratings that four stroke engine of current manufacture---no place has banned modern DFI two stroke engines which still dominate the market for power, weight, efficiency, EPA/CARB complicance.

N

I had a 25hp on mine, every time I picked it up, I wish I'd bought a 15. The main advantage of inflatables is portability. Check the engine weights. I never ran the 25 past half throttle.

I had a 14 much like that and it was over powered with a 30. It was rated for it but I would have been much happier with a 25 esp when lugging it up and down ramps. As for brands, they are all good. I have a little 6 hp Nissan that I love. Owned merc, johnson, evinrude, the big thing is to flush them good after every use and give then a litttle TLC once in while. At least look at the plugs.
I miss my 14, wish I still had it. Soft floors are OK, they have there place.
If you choose to trailer it, dont do it with the motor mounted, you will blow seams at some point. Thats just too much weight bouncing back there.

Back
Top Bottom