Which Malaria Preventive Do You Use In Risk Areas: Mexico & Central America?

Which Malaria Preventive Do You Use In Risk Areas: Mexico & Cent America

• Chloroquine

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Doxycycline

• Mefloquine (Lariam)

• Other - please explain

• None

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As kev points out, anti-malarial medications ONLY protect against malaria. there are a whole host of other mosquito-borne disease that you are vulnerable to. Bite prevention is a MUST.

I am engineer in university hospital and I am specialty for antimarials. Now, chloroquine is ineffective, because there is a strong resistance.

I am engineer in university hospital and I am specialty for antimarials. Now, chloroquine is ineffective, because there is a strong resistance.
Okaaaay, in Central America...?

I'm sure our CDC would be interested in your findings.

thanks!

Okaaaay, in Central America...?

I'm sure our CDC would be interested in your findings.

thanks!
Now, malaria is resistant to chloroquine in Africa, in Asia and in South America, it is completely useless, because in 1960, chloroquine was very effective in the whole world and one used much until so that malaria develops to resist. Chloroquine is still effective in the north of the Central America, but resistance is gaining.

Mefloquine is still effective in the whole world, but the first resistances appear in Kampuchea and in Thailand. Mefloquine is not an agreable drug and it does many nauseas.

For European travellers, Malarone is more popular, because Malarone does not do many secondary effects.

Thanks for the clarification Tom. Yeah, I was aware of other destinations having other needs. Just asking about Mexico and Cent Amer in this thread....

Thanks for the clarification Tom. Yeah, I was aware of other destinations having other needs. Just asking about Mexico and Cent Amer in this thread....
Yes, one can still use chloroquine in Mexico, but it is not an good idea for Panama.

I'm happy to see that someone mentioned "Malarone". I tried taking Chloroquine on my first trip to Roatan...the side effects were so awful for me that I quit taking it! Would Malarone be an acceptable substitute? The dosage is daily and the side effects are reportedly much milder, plus you don't have to take it for as long a time.

I'm happy to see that someone mentioned "Malarone". I tried taking Chloroquine on my first trip to Roatan...the side effects were so awful for me that I quit taking it! Would Malarone be an acceptable substitute? The dosage is daily and the side effects are reportedly much milder, plus you don't have to take it for as long a time.
Really?! :11: I cannot answer the question. It's just the first time I've seen anyone say they had side effects from Chloroquine. So I guess it does happen, sorry you had that...

Malarone is ideal for a short voyage and one takes once per day, but is better to take in the evening, because that takes a little sleep.

I have always taken Chloroquine with minimal side effect. I get a little uncomfortable the day after the tablet is taken such as the slight runs but nothing serious or dehydrating. I have many Friends in Roatan and several have had Malaria and Dengue. So they do occur.

Deep Woods Off is my friend. They call it Gringo Cologn but I don't care.
I also take an Antobiotic with me just in case. I usually handle the foods and water well but my wife has gotten sick twice. Usually off Salads or fresh fruit at restaurants. Just another suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom