Which LOCKTITE product would you use on your regulator threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many turns does each hose require before coming clean off? You're saying that three complete hoses, probably some of them clipped off to something at the other end, completed all of these rotations whilst sat on a boat? It's not just a nut vibrating off here, the entire assembly must turn.

I don't know, its stretching my imagination a little. And given that you're 'in the top 1%' of people that look after your gear, this must all have happened between completing your pre-dive checks and entering the water.

I think Loctite might be an equipment solution for a procedural problem.
I know Scubafanatic personally. I would use the term Anal Retentive to describe him. Others would say irritating....

New orings, proper size AND durometer. Inspect female and male threads/seat for cleanliness and wear, assemble with proper torque. Your swivel and elbow may be a lousy design.

I actually got some stuff from my shop that makes it easier to disconnect and keeps it from locking up. In salt water, if you use locktite I am not sure you will be able to get anything to unscrew and you run the risk of breaking or stripping it.

Last edited:
Lol, who here thinks the deficiency was actually the manufacturer or the OP missing something on his 50+ regs? LOL

How many turns does each hose require before coming clean off? You're saying that three complete hoses, probably some of them clipped off to something at the other end, completed all of these rotations whilst sat on a boat? It's not just a nut vibrating off here, the entire assembly must turn.

I don't know, its stretching my imagination a little. And given that you're 'in the top 1%' of people that look after your gear, this must all have happened between completing your pre-dive checks and entering the water.

EXACTLY!!!!

I know Scubafanatic personally. I would use the term Anal Retentive to describe him. Others would say irritating....

Mistakes still happen. Especially if we’re talking about 50+ regs to keep track of.

Well, if some mfg used to require it, and none appear to prohibit it, it may not be such a crazy idea after all.

Just to be clear, one manufacturer (that I know of) suggested use on the external DIN threaded connection to the first stage body. NOT for use on the internal hose threads that are exposed to breathing gas! It is a bit "crazy" to use sealing chemicals that could contaminate breathing gas, or come into contact with o2 compatible lubricants.

Are you really willing to take that kind of risk ?

I have not made my ultimate decision on this, which is why I presented my question to the peanut gallery for 2nd opinions. Having a LP hose blowout at depth is dangerous too, is that more or less dangerous than a strategically placed drop of LOCKTITE here or there?

Once LOCKTITE has dried, I'm assuming the danger of breathing gas exposure is over (assuming a drop of LOCKTITE ever even was dangerous in the first place) so the only other issue appears to be high % of O2 exposure, what is the definition of 'high O2' ? Hard to believe it's OK for EAN 21 but not for EAN 32 ?

Perhaps not, but are you sure? Are you going experiment on a reg your kid uses?

Mistakes still happen. Especially if we’re talking about 50+ regs to keep track of.

No kidding. Op can be as anal as he wants, but it would be darn near impossible for most humans to keep up with service records on 50 regs without very detailed tracking and documentation. I have a hard time remembering last time I changed the oil on the 5 cars we own.

No kidding. Op can be as anal as he wants, but it would be darn near impossible for most humans to keep up with service records on 50 regs without very detailed tracking and documentation. I have a hard time remembering last time I changed the oil on the 5 cars we own.
Not to be a dick, but my wife services 5-10 regs every day. I assure you, meticulous records are kept. We also refer to her as OCD, or anal retentive. Or, she keeps damn good records.

I would agree with that assessment Frank! :) As always, even on this trip, 'gadget guy' had to field fellow divers questions on my configuration/gear, joked about how NASA checks in with me between dives, etc. :) The Japanese divers were captivated by my save-a-dive kit as well as my travel vest (Scottvest), one older Japanese lady actually asked me if I was a 'nerd' (she spoke better non accented English than I do, but she's a Japanese to English translator for a living). I said 'yes!' Then she told me she likes 'nerds' and one of her female dive buddies on our trip was JUST like me and she begged me to show her group some of my stuff! Really kinda funny! Felt like I was modeling gear at a DEMA show.

So while I can be 'irritating', us nerds do have our moments. :wink:

Agreed. My first thought was "loctite == NO" and my second thought was how could the hoses have unwound enough to come off?

Vibration will cause some things to come loose. But if the other end is secure, there is no way it will rotate and completely unscrew. Worst case I would expect would be a small leak (it may sound large) that could be easily fixed by hand tigthening the hose.

I do not think vibration is the cause of your issue.

Back
Top Bottom