Which Liveaboard in Belize and other questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrsilly

Registered
Reaction score
I can't decide between the Sun Dancer and Aggressor boat for diving in Belize. I'm planning on going October 21st. I do not want the Nekton even though it is less expensive. I am trying to watch my $ so I am leaning towards the Sun Dancer... any comments?

I'm a single female and I'm not sure if renting a car is better than other transportation. I will be bringing my dive gear with me. I'm also considering going to Guatemala and staying there for a few days since it is less expensive than Belize. What "attractions" has anyone found worth while in both countries? (I definitely want to see Tikal in Guatemala).

One last question... What suggestions does anyone have.... Once leaving the boat on Saturday morning I'd like to do something for the day... Should I check out snorkeling at Hol Chan and staying on one of the cayes? My flight leaves Sunday afternoon.......

Thanks.:confused:

mrsilly:
I can't decide between the Sun Dancer and Aggressor boat for diving in Belize. I'm planning on going October 21st. I do not want the Nekton even though it is less expensive. I am trying to watch my $ so I am leaning towards the Sun Dancer... any comments?

I'm a single female and I'm not sure if renting a car is better than other transportation. I will be bringing my dive gear with me. I'm also considering going to Guatemala and staying there for a few days since it is less expensive than Belize. What "attractions" has anyone found worth while in both countries? (I definitely want to see Tikal in Guatemala).

One last question... What suggestions does anyone have.... Once leaving the boat on Saturday morning I'd like to do something for the day... Should I check out snorkeling at Hol Chan and staying on one of the cayes? My flight leaves Sunday afternoon.......

Thanks.:confused:
I've been on the Sun Dancer twice. Haven't been on the Aggressor but toured it. So it's not quite a fair comparison but from what I've seen I prefer the Sun Dancer though the Aggressor is nice too. (I've posted my thoughts before which can be found in a search so I won't repeat it here, and of course there are other reviews out there to be found as well.) Since SD is cheaper and you're watching $ it makes sense to take that one, personally I'd still take it if it was more expensive. I don't really understand why SD is cheaper, and it's not any more starting next year.

Don't quite understand what you are asking about renting a car. Are you flying there days early and doing things before the boat? I don't know about rental cars in Belize.

For just one day I wouldn't be thinking about Hol Chan or the Cayes, not close enough to make it worthwhile. Anyway you will probably be sufficiently waterlogged by then and want to consider land activities of which there are many in Belize. The SD will arrange land tours the last day for people who have time before their plane, I imagine the Aggressor does as well. You might want to do that on Saturday with people from your boat. We went to the Belize Zoo and it was a neat place. It would probably be easy to stay at the Radisson that night and get a tour someplace on Sunday depending what time you have to be at the airport. Tours to some nearer ruins are popular, though I get the impression they're not as good as some the ruins further away. I think cave tubing is another of the common tours close enough to do as a daytrip.

What I meant about the car rental was this.... Would I be better off driving on my own and seeing the sights than spending the money for a guide in which there's a chance I would have to pay more because of one person? Transportation to one of the hotels I'm interested in is about $300 round trip... renting a car will cost me about $484 for 7 days.

... too many interesting things.... If I decide to do Hol Chan, I suppose I'll do that the Sunday after I arrive from the states and then make my way do Guatemala for a few days...

Thanks for your opinion... I didn't think that there was much of a difference between the two boats....

Have dove the Nekton boat twice in Belize but not any others. Dive sites seem to be the same, as evidenced by the fact that they are just about always moored next to us. Saw the Agressor and Sun Dancer boats at their docs on the day after our second Belize trip and for my money it would always be the Nekton.

'Slogger

so you are actually there for 2 weeks, you are spending a week someplace there before you get on the boat? That wasn't clear.

Thereare a couple differences in sites between the Nekton and the other boats. One is the Nekton doesn't do the Blue Hole. (You may consider this a good thing or a bad thing.) Also, the Nekton has a "southern" itinerary some weeks so in theory they will dive sites in an area that the Aggressor and SD don't generally do.

I am getting ready for my second Nekton trip, although neither was to Belize. Personally, I try to go with the least expensive boat. There does not seem to be a lot of value added for the extra cost.

I have been on the Belize Aggressor, but only got to take a look at the Sundancer. Comparing notes with the passengers you may find the food on the Sundancer to be a bit more interesting. It is definitely Aggressor policy to keep their food on the simple side.

As for the Blue hole, on my trip it was by vote. You can get a bunch of macro photographers that have no interest in a short deep dive, regardless of how famous the place is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom