Which Kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I've been informed by my better half that kayaks are not in our future...:(

We'll see about that! Too bad most of the diving around Tampa is so far off shore.

Some great kayak diving up north!!(New Engand).:evil: :sprint:

I recently asked/emailed a Kayak expert and this was his reply
Dennis Spike:
Scrambler XT by OK (Ocean Kayak), one of the best dive kayaks.

Hobie Quest in a new boat.

anatomy_scrambler_xt_ang_lg.jpg
quest_features.jpg

I was considering the Necky Spike, which is no longer made, but on many people's top 10 lists

I was considering the Necky Spike, which is no longer made, but on many people's top 10 lists
I have used the Dolphin Necky before. They are very fast and steamlined but are not nearly as stable as Ocean Kayaks. If you are paddling long distances the Necky's are probably the way to go.

Thanks, I've been informed by my better half that kayaks are not in our future...:(

We'll see about that! Too bad most of the diving around Tampa is so far off shore.

Some great kayak diving up north!!(New Engand).:evil: :sprint:

Anypalce you can shore dive, you can yak dive as well or better, and save air getting to the dive site. I have yakked a couple of miles offshore in Texas to dive drilling platforms and there are several near wrecks and artificial reefs in this area that are well within that range. Just pick you day, pick your weather and have a couple of good yakkers to join ya!

Info from Kayuba site:

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT
Excellent stability.
Excellent storage.
Large and small hatches.
Very good tracking.
Good handling in rough surf.
Moderate weight.
Large platform

Ocean Kayak Drifter
Excellent stability
Excellent storage.
Very large front hatch.
Very good tracking.
Moderate weight.
Large platform.
Difficult to do two-tank dive with large tanks.

Aquaterra/Perception (Swing)
Very good stability.
Good storage.
Small hatch.
Very good tracking.
Moderate weight.
Large platform.

Ocean Kayak Malibu Two
Very good stability.
Moderate storage.
Small hatch.
Very good tracking.
Difficult handling in rough surf.
Heavier weight.
Large platform.

Cobra Navigator
Good stability.
Moderate storage.
Large and small hatches.
Moderate tracking.
Lighter weight.
Moderate platform.
Difficult to do two-tank dive with large tanks.

Ocean Kayak Frenzy
Good stability.
Restricted storage.
Small hatch only.
Moderate tracking.
Very good handling in rough surf.
Lighter weight.
Moderate platform.

I have used the Dolphin Necky before. They are very fast and steamlined but are not nearly as stable as Ocean Kayaks. If you are paddling long distances the Necky's are probably the way to go.
The Necky are known to have low Primary stability, like you describe, but have excellent secondary stability. Low primary stability usually is what spooks a novice paddler, with a experience this becomes less of an issue.

from Kayak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Primary and secondary stability: Although every kayak will rock from side-to-side, wider kayaks with more buoyancy away from the centerline will present more resistance to tipping and thus feel less likely to capsize than a narrow one with less buoyancy away from the centerline. Flat-bottomed boats that push their volume away from the centerline will also feel more stable than rounded or V-shaped hull shapes that distribute buoyancy more evenly.

While flat-bottomed boats have more primary (sometimes called "initial") stability, and feel more stable to the beginner they usually have less secondary stability. Once they do begin to tip, they capsize quickly and suddenly. Rounder-bottomed boats are quite the opposite — having lower initial or primary stability and (usually) greater secondary stability. The chine in some boats increases secondary stability by effectively widening the beam of the boat when it is heeled (tipped).

Secondary stability refers to final stability, or additional resistance to capsizing as a kayak approaches capsizing. Rounder-bottomed boats present a greater cross-section to the water as they are tipped from level ("heeled"), while very flat-bottomed boats present less. Sea kayaks, designed for open water and rough conditions, are generally narrower (22-25 inches) and have more secondary stability than recreational kayaks, which are wider (26-30+ inches), have a flatter hull shape, and more primary stability. Kayaks with only moderate primary, but excellent secondary are, in general, considered more seaworthy, especially in challenging conditions.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom