Which is the better first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QuentinNZ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All, having not diving for a while I am currently getting my gear organised for the up and coming summer. I have my old original US Divers Conshelf SE2 which has served me well for 25 + years, but just recently I was also given a Dacor set (unknown first stage and Eagle Reg) which I thought I could use as an octopus. What I am now wondering is, do first stages vary much in quality and if so would I be better using the newer Dacor first stage over my original US Divers one that I have now owned of approx 30 years? If anyone knows these two first stages and how they compare for quality reliability etc it would be great. Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_122131.jpg
    IMG_20181109_122131.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20181109_123836.jpg
    IMG_20181109_123836.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 77
I had my Conshelf SE2 down to 176ft a couple hours ago. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Easy to service and parts can be found if you're so inclined. The Dacor I don't recognize.

- edit: realized my reply is
of little help given the lack of actual comparison. -
Cameron

I had my Conshelf SE2 down to 176ft a couple hours ago. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Easy to service and parts can be found if you're so inclined. The Dacor I don't recognize.

Cameron
Thanks, yeah I have never had an issue with my Conshelf set, hopefully I can get it serviced locally, its been a while since anyone looked at it. Maybe I am best to just continue using that, and use the Dacor Eagle Reg as an octi.

It will be much easier to get parts for the US Divers reg than the Dacor. That alone can be your deciding factor.

That first stage is an Italian Dacor, made by Mares. Looks to be a D12 1st stage. Not a bad unit, I think it was based off of the MR12 from that period. Same with the Eagle second stages - Italian by Mares. Both use current Mares parts kits, so no issue at all there. Most but not all major parts are N/A. The only service part I remember that you can't get is the little Dacor sticker that covers up the screw head on the venturi switch - cosmetic only. And there are a variation or two that I have to add a couple of O-rings not included in the current appropriate kit.

That first stage is an Italian Dacor, made by Mares. Looks to be a D12 1st stage. Not a bad unit, I think it was based off of the MR12 from that period. Same with the Eagle second stages - Italian by Mares. Both use current Mares parts kits, so no issue at all there. Most but not all major parts are N/A. The only service part I remember that you can't get is the little Dacor sticker that covers up the screw head on the venturi switch - cosmetic only. And there are a variation or two that I have to add a couple of O-rings not included in the current appropriate kit.
Thank you very much for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom