Which is the better deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoppy1214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I stumbled across an ad for used Regulators+Computer on my local Craigslist. They are selling all of the following sets for $300 each. Is this a good deal? Which set would you pick?

- Suunto Vyper dive computer w/ Scubapro A700 regulator MK17 first stage. (we have 2 sets)

- Suunto Vyper dive computer w/ Scubapro G250 regulator
- Suunto Vyper dive computer w/ Aqualung Legend regulator
- Suunto Vytec dive computer w/ Atomic Aquatics T1X regulator

Each set has been used 5-10 times over the last 2-3

The first stage isn't listed in the ad. From the pictures, I can tell that the A700 is paired with the MK17. I'm waiting to hear back about service history and the first stage on the remaining setups.

I'll be doing my Google homework but appreciate any input while I'm researching. Thank you!

I'd go with the Atomic as my first choice and the Legend as my second. Like any piece of equipment, the choice is subjective. I just don't like ScubaPro.

I´m personally partial to the Aqualung. Problem with this kind of question is that everyone is going to recommend what they use themselves. You´re unlikely to get an objective analysis.

R..

The A700 requires tools to take the faceplate of of the second stage. Not even an option in my book just for that. What is paired with the other SP second?
Don't like aqualung's business policies.
That leaves the Atomic. Service may be expensive to set up for cold water since you need to pack it with expensive lube but out of all of them it'd be my choice.
Although even at 300 per set it's not as great as it may sound. You still will need to get them looked at unless they are coming from a dealer or tech you know and trust. Unless you are a tech and can test and evaluate them properly. If not add 100-125 to the price of each one. Then what octo's come with them. A good one with hose is going to add another say 125 to that. You could find a cheaper one but why? Your octo should be equal in performance to your primary.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would go with MK17/A700 just for the metal case of the second stage. I does help a lot with "a cotton mouth".
Unless used on a stage which is dropped on silt I see no limitations with not being able to take the faceplate off.

Reactions: CPH
I have a MK17/A700...it is an outstanding regulator set. Having to use a tool to remove the front faceplate is true, but I have never wanted to remove it aside from when I service it every year. I use it for single tank diving, and there's nothing on the market I would trade it for.

Reactions: CPH
Definitely the T1x, cant go wrong with titanium! (not sure what the others are made of).

Definitely the T1x, cant go wrong with titanium! (not sure what the others are made of).

A titanium regulator would pretty much be my last choice, actually. With a catalyst, Titanium can theoretically spontaneously combust in an oxygen environment well within the parameters found inside a first stage.

Granted, from the couple of cases I know of, they've been on deco or O2 bottles but still... it´s not a comforting idea to me.

R..

Back
Top Bottom