Which is better the Ocean Quest or Reef Encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tazman282

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know there are better boats out there but I just don't have enough time. I am only going to be in Australia for a total of 7 days and my wife which was recently certified only wants to spend a couple of days diving and the rest sight seeing. So I am looking at the Ocean Quest or the Reef Encounter which are both 2day 1night trips. Anyone have any knowledge on these outfits or something that would be better in the overnight category. Thanks for any info.

David

Hi David,

To answer your question as acurately as possible..... it depends on what you want out of your trip.

Ocean Quest and Reef Encounter are both Catamarans that dive and snorkel EXACTLY the same Reefs. Hastings, Saxon and Norman Reefs.

Both have extremely comfortable transfer vessells which take approx 2 hours each way to travel to the liveaboard.

Now the differences.

Ocean Quest is owned by Deep Sea Divers Den as you are aware. Excellent operator who also does Learn to Dive Courses as well as catering for Certified Diving. Therefor if you want an operator who may have 20 or so Learn to Divers who have just done their Pool and Theory on board as well, then thats OK. For me this is far to regimented on the back deck. Also to have that much inexperience on the back deck when gearing up, entry in and out, well that is something that needs consideration.

Reef Encounter is apprx 10 metres longer with helicopter transfer options, top deck Club for those who want a little more extrav accomm, spa bath on the front and although they have a couple of Learn to dive onboard, this is hardly noticeable.

Verdict: Good news is both are good and you will enjoy either trip.

Cheers Andy.

Remember we offer 10% discount to Scubaboard members booking any tour through our agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom