Which is better: San Diego or San Francisco ( Monterey) areas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DiverDun,

Here are two videos that I shot, one in San Diego (La Jolla Cove / Yukon) and one in Monterey. They're both great dives, don't miss either. More fish in San Diego, more color in Monterey. If you're looking for a charter in San Diego, I highly recommend the Lois Ann.

San Diego: YouTube - San Diego Diving 2008
Monterey: YouTube - Coral Street Monterey Diving

Have fun.

...we will likely have to limit our time for diving to either the San Diego or the San Francisco areas.

I'm sorry, Jim, but life is full of sacrifices. You absolutely must make it work to dive both places! :D

If you can do boat dives, do a charter in Monterey to the Carmel sites. Then, in SD, take the Lois Ann out on their 3 dive, Yukon, Ruby, Kelp Beds charter.

If shore diving, in Monterey do Lobos. In SD, La Jolla Shores.

No excuses here. Dive both places. If your relatives don't agree, get new relatives! :D

Having dove both spots a fair amount I agree with Rick. However I am surprised you have not thought of the channel islands too. Was there last 2 weekends both with around 50' of vis.

While you're in the SF area, definitely dive Monterey via boat dives and for shore dives Point Lobos. If you're diving during the week no reservations are needed at Point Lobos.

I've done the vast majority of my diving in Monterey, have only been to maybe 5-6 sites, and have never been on a boat in the area (other than a Reef Check class). And I'm not even close to getting bored with what I've seen :)

What five sites are you referring to?

I have only been to Monterey/Carmel a few times but I am a little disappointed in the limited number of shore sites. Particularly during less than stellar ocean conditions.

Breakwater(includes metridiums), McAbee, Lovers I, II, III, Otter Cove, Coral Street beach,Del Monte, Point Pinos, Stillwater Cove and Copper Roof House (long swims, kinda), Carmel River beach, North Monastary, South Monastary, Carmel Meadows(never done that one) Point Lobos, all within a twenty minute drive of each other.

The only place I've been that has more shore dives is Bonaire.

-Nomad

I have only been to Monterey/Carmel a few times but I am a little disappointed in the limited number of shore sites. Particularly during less than stellar ocean conditions.

I could probably think of 40-50 shore dives in Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove without thinking too hard. Don't forget the Big Sur Coastline and Garrapata SP. There's at least a dozen in Garrapata alone. Some are quite the hike from HWY 1, but worth the trouble hiking down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom