Which housing and strobe for a Sony RX100M5A?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead with the S-2000. I was debating the YS-01 too due to the focus light and separate battery compartment but ultimately I want a more compact setup for travel. I will just use it in TTL mode until I get a little more proficient with the new camera.

Also, DiverVision lists YS-01 as 'in stock' for $350: SEA & SEA YS-01 Strobe (Black)
They do, and I sent them an inquiry about it, but got no reply... Would'nt be the first time I tried to order an in dtock item just to learn "otherwise" one way or another. No reply to an inquiry stopped me in my tracks with the pending order.

So here's what I ended up ordering:

Nauticam NA-RX100V Underwater Housing for Sony RX100 V (M5)

Sea & Sea YS-D2J - Mounted on a Nauticam Flexitray Light Set

A bit more than originally planned but I am getting a rather large bonus this year so I splurged. I like what Nauticam has done with the shutter release as it should be easier to feel the half-press for focusing. And I figured if I am going with only a single strobe I may as well get as much power as I can afford right now. Thank you everyone for your input. I will report back once I get this in the water.

A bit more than originally planned but I am getting a rather large bonus this year so I splurged. I like what Nauticam has done with the shutter release as it should be easier to feel the half-press for focusing. And I figured if I am going with only a single strobe I may as well get as much power as I can afford right now. Thank you everyone for your input. I will report back once I get this in the water.
Congratulations.

You really can't go too far wrong with a Nauticam housing. (I have a Nauticam housing for my Sony A6000, and I am very impressed with it.)

Mozaik is a family run business and Ran & Tal will treat you right. Good choice.

Have fun with your new gear!

I think you’ll be quite happy with it and I agree, the trigger mechanism is really great. Did you get the vacuum system? It is worth the peace of mind.

I think you’ll be quite happy with it and I agree, the trigger mechanism is really great. Did you get the vacuum system? It is worth the peace of mind.
Not yet, but do you think it is really worth it? It seems awfully expensive at $220 USD for a valve and a hand pump. If I do get one do I want the M14 or the M16 version?

Not yet, but do you think it is really worth it? It seems awfully expensive at $220 USD for a valve and a hand pump. If I do get one do I want the M14 or the M16 version?
If you are not sure what size to get, touch base with Mozaik. Either Tal or Ran will get back to you and will let you know exactly what you need.

(Oh, and yes, they are worth every penny as far as your piece of mind goes.)

Yes, completely worth it. I saw someone flood a Nauticam RX100 on a liveaboard recently. I knew it was bad news when they were rinsing out the inside with fresh water and alcohol and then using compressed air to dry it off as soon as I surfaced. It was an expensive lesson for him and at that point, he started to ask me about my vacuum. He bought one as soon as he got back to internet access.

I always set my gear up at least 1-2 hours before a dive. If it's a morning dive, I do it the night before. I double check my o-ring for debris and the green light on the vacuum goes on. I let it sit until right before the dive and if it's still green, it's a go. Throughout the dive, so long as it's green, it's still a go. When it turns yellow, that's when trouble is brewing and it's time to potentially call the dive and surface, at least just the camera. Red is all bad news and if the flood alarm hasn't gone off yet, it's time to bail ASAP. I can always go back down but my camera needs to get to the surface soon. By the time the flood alarm goes off, it is too late and you can only minimize the damage at that point by pointing the camera down and keeping the water towards the lens and away from the "heart" of the camera. The vac makes it a bit more difficult for water to ingress even if there is a leak or a spot for a flood. Not only do we already risk the camera and the housing getting damaged from floods (if not completely lost), it's also the photos and data you have on the card and the added hassle of having to deal with it while on vacation or worse, not being able to use it at all after that. After all, we've all paid so much to go dive somewhere and invested in expensive camera equipment to be able to remember those moments....The cost of the vacuum system in my mind is a drop in the bucket considering all the other money spent to get myself to that place and to capture those memories.

As for the M14 and M16, it will depend entirely on where you install the valve. Ask Backscatter or where you got your system from for recommendations. Both were options to me and it depended on what I wanted to do with the housing n the future such as video screens, etc.

A couple of boxes of goodies arrived today. Thought I'd share what I ended up with.

8olSOZ1h.jpg

5kU9qT8h.jpg

Back
Top Bottom