Which Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the OMS Deluxe Harness, but I'm building 2 more rigs with my own webbing, and one of the harnesses is going to be with tobin's hardware, the Harness Polypoint Ring is a well thought item an looks awesome, and the waterjet cutted Drings are top on my list.
Looking for a OMS Al BP (lots of attachement points) and probably a DSS Plate for the new rigs

If I was on the market for a complete harness right now, I would probably get the DSS Pro-Fit adjustable BP harness, lucky me I got access to free 2" webbing.

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html

http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html

http://www.deepseasupply.com/page6.html

Hey Jim T, I welcome all comments. And years diving don't make for experience when I'm trying something new (besides, when my kids were young I did very little diving).

I was talking to a friend of mine that started diving when I did. We were discussing the first setup we had was very similar to a BP & a Hog harness. It did have a quick disconnect on the right shoulder. It was a buckle just like on the waist ( you can see these all the time on e-bay. Just do a seach on vintage diving). The main differance was our backpacks were plastic, & we used horsecollars instead of wings, plus there were no D-rings. So that may be one reason I am leaning away from the hog harness. It's like I've been there done that. (No, Not DIR, just the Hog Harness)

As far as the chest strap, I'm with most everyone else. I currently use a zeagle, and I probably use the chest strap half the time at the most.

Mandy, I'm with you on the DSS hardware. In fact, I'm thinking of doing the same thing down the road if I like the BP as much as I expect. But the 1st one will be ready made. I am going to assemble the harness to the plate since I've already bought a hammerhead back plate. In fact I think I'll tell my wife I got her some new stainless for Mother's day.

diveright:
Actually i seen acouple rigs that added a quick release on the right strap but you dont have to cut the strap. seperate the top and bottom buckle with 4-6 inches of slack, connect the release and your done. the strap is still a single piece so if the release fails your still connected. I am diving on my first BP/W with the hog harness. It does take practice but once its on and your in the water you dont even know its there.

Dive Safe
Mike

That's an interesting idea. I like it because it eliminates the problem of the harness coming apart if the fastex breaks. Even underwater I think a good buddy could tighten the harness in warm water where gloves aren't required if a clip breaks. Still, I think I'll keep my hog harness as is, but I do like this idea. Thanks for letting me know.

Hi BSea,

If you are sold on the idea of the DSS Pro-Fit, i have one for sale. We can communicate through PM if you are interested but i also wanted to post a comment on the comparison between adjustables and Hog harnesses.

The notion that you will later want to move to a Hog harness has been very true in my case as i'm sure it has been for others as well. The adjustable seems to offer some advantages which (in my experience) are actually not really worth the trouble. Of course, the DSS is exquisitely made; you have to see it in person, pictures don't do justice to the workmanship of the hardware. Even so, there are small issues such as the inability to rig backup lights on the shoulder D-rings (they keep banging on the Polypoint rings pushing them forward) and the fact that the webbing is so soft it keeps twisting itself into knots.

So, much like Tobin who makes them and advised against them (which i think is a testament to his objectivity, after all the Pro-Fit is more expensive!) i will also tell you: get a Hog but if you prefer to buy a slightly used mint condition Pro-Fit, PM me.

Hi theatis,

This is the kind of personal experience I'm looking for.

When you say the webbing keeps tying into knots, does it twist once it's on, and is it easy to put on? The webbing on my zeagle is soft also, but the cumberbund may do alot to keep it under control. Plus the webbing is in small sections, not long line on a harness. In looking at the pictures, I can't tell if the oxycheq is any stiffer than the DSS. I'm guessing they are similar. They both look more substantiqal in the shoulders.

Hi BSea,

I'll respond to your PM separately but i'll respond to your questions here since it might benefit others or maybe others would like to give their own opinions.

The tying-into-knots comment isn't really a serious issue, it's a minor annoyance. It's simply so soft that it tends to twist around. I have a small knife right next to the front D-ring (right where the crotch strap clips) and it pulls the webbing into knots when it flails around after i remove the rig. For example, if you are changing cylinders between dives and moving the rig around, you then have to untwist it before putting it on. Is it a serious issue? Of course not!

The rig is very easy to put on, a few dives with it and it becomes second nature. As a newbie i was almost convinced by people who said that it would be uncomfortable, difficult to get in and out of; maybe they didn't actually try one because that is simply not the case. On the other hand, now that i changed it to a Hog i don't see much difference either in ease of use or comfort. As Tobin said above, underwater it sort of disappears, the Hog in fact more so than the Pro-Fit.

It looks substantial in the shoulders as you say because there is twice the material there; the webbing is backed by velcro, it reaches down to the polypoint ring and then it backs onto itself. Some people consider the velcro a failure point; i agree with Tobin's explanation that it's not really. Your shoulders bear the load when you put the rig on, i don't see how that could come undone given the stresses that push onto it.

Overall, my conclusion from using both is that unless you are going DIR (i find myself slowly creeping in that direction) the Pro-Fit is fine. I have no experience with other so-called comfort harnesses but the differences are unlikely to be huge; one advantage (at least on paper) of the DSS over others is the lack of buoyant padding which probably does nothing anyway, the Pro-Fit is plenty comfortable. Of course, if you will be taking DIR courses then the point is moot since you'll want to be DIR-compliant.

Hope this helps.

BSea, Yeah, when I dove my few dives in the early '70s I used those plastic backplates too! I don't remember if it was a Voit or a Scubapro, but after seeing "Thunderball" (the Bond movie) again recently, I reallized that I had the quick release shoulder strap with the 3 stainless snaps! (so it was probably a Voit) Horseshoe collar too! Our experiences led us to different harness preferences in the present. I missed that simplicity and stableness of the plastic backplate and Hog type straps when wearing jacket b.c.s. I think you're going to love your stainless backplate!

I've also got a PM heading your way in an effort to be helpful.
Jim

Diveright,
If you happen to locate the manufacturer or a dealer for the quick release you described I have been looking for one for over a year. None of the LDSes or online sites I've checked have seemed to know about them but I've heard rumors of them before. Could you let me know if you find info./suppliers? Thanks!

I've also searched for s.s. quick release clips and they don't seem to exist either.
Anyone know of any? I'd like to at least try the non-cut shoulder strap/using slack
method even though I've had no problems with the Hog rig.

Hey Jim T

Couldn't you use the same connector Floater showed on page 3? That's a great idea. I think I'll make something like that this winter. Who knows, maybe I'll end up in a hog harness yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom