Which hand for the HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are funny, hey you only have two hands, pick one. Oh, no wait, this is the HOG way of doing things.

90 posts on whether to use the right hand, left hand, or either hand.
Just mount it on a helmet and be done with it....
HHHhhhaaaarrrrrrrr! :) :) :)
Rick

Notwithstanding a definition for “Hogarthian”, or lack thereof, my interest in its concept lies in its approach to “Optimization”. This thread is a good example of various gear and procedure applications used to optimize light placement and handling while considering its impact on specific variables and the whole. This is not to say that whatever anyone chooses to do automatically results in an optimized configuration. It does mean that one has to consider variables in optimization - and optimizing for one aspect usually results in another being less than optimized.

The sharing of different ideas, the understanding behind the reasons for them, is what is useful here to those who accept things for what they are - and then choose what may or may not be arguably best for them considering their circumstances. ......... as I swim away firmly holding my light with both hands - fully optimized for the first hand switch. lol.

Keep the Hands free

Well I opt for the right shoulder D-ring.

light mounted on right hip switch facing down. cable coiled and running under the waist belt with tension on it keeping it, the light pointing forward. Long hose on top of everything, including deco bottles, never a problem in air sharing. If I want to signal or get my buddy's attention, I just circle or shake the light head. If I want to look around I can and still no need to disconnect from the D ring. My hands are free to do as I need to and I can see what needs to be done.

Basically guys keep it simple, pick a hand and do what works for you!

Do you mount the cannister on your waist strap or onto the BP?

mavjax:
Do you mount the cannister on your waist strap or onto the BP?
I have in on the waist strap, but have had it on the BP and even on the left side (BP mount and tank mount) Heck I have even clipped the light head to my left D-ring I'm flexible, its only light but I do prefer the right d-ring

I have a cannister light that I made using two 7AH SLA batteries similair to what I've seen some of the manufacturers make. I dove with the light before mounted to my tank before, but have yet to use it with my BP wings setup. I plan to put the cannister on my right hip strap and have secured a loop to the cannister with SS hose clamps to run the webbing through. Testing how the cannister attached out of the water I was surprised at how heavy, awkward, and off balance I felt just standing there. To get to my question, is this cannister just too big/heavy to hip mount? or will this not be a problem once I get in the water? I've tried moving the loop up and down the cannister to better balance the load, but I couldn't really find a spot I like, where do most people find the cannister to be best balanced. Thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom