Which gopro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an other question about the same underwater solution:
I would like to take my go pro camera on a trip around the world later this year and I do not want to take two cases with me. Since I have learned that we need a special flat lens inside the water to produce good picture quality, my question is: Which of the three above mentioned solution provides acceptable picture quality outside the water as well?

Last edited:
Does the flat lens negatively impact video on land. I like to mtb and of course dive. If i were to put the flat lens on, am i going to have poor quality videos out of water

I have an other question about the same underwater solution:
I would like to take my go pro camera on a trip around the world later this year and I do not want to take two cases with me. Since I have learned that we need a special flat lens inside the water to produce good picture quality, my question is: Which of the three above mentioned solution provides acceptable picture quality outside the water as well?

Not sure if this is best example, but it shows that the camera with the mako lens works fine in the air and underwater. This was the first GoPro 1080.. the Hero 2 is probably a little better. Also, the video when played on a TV is better than it looks after upload to youtube...

The biggest issue I have with the video camera is that the sound recording from inside the sealed case is not very good.

[video=youtube_share;G0FJMmILL8o]http://youtu.be/G0FJMmILL8o[/video]

Freedive Spearing With Sharks! St. Lucie 2-18-12 - YouTube

good news, thank you! The sound quality is poor because the sealed case is very noise suppressing. An external mic. would give better results...

How is the out-of-water performance of the other cases?

I don't know. I just use the camera with the flat lens all the time.

I hope everyone knows you can use the GoPro topside without any case. The reason for the case is to protect it from getting wet or if you want to use a filter.

After I bought mine then I researched after awhile I just took it out and the video quality was great, I put it on at the end of my speargun with zipties, and used my pelican light holder with a princetec 4AAA Bat light. when batts are fresh it is to much light. For the most part it does not need a light at all here in the emerald see.

I do suggest you have 16 G sd cards and have spare batteries, to eliminate down time.

good news, thank you! The sound quality is poor because the sealed case is very noise suppressing. An external mic. would give better results...

How is the out-of-water performance of the other cases?

When using above water you can use the skeleton door for the back of it. This enables the mic to pick up better. However, I never felt a need for it, and just leave the regular door on.

I have the Sartek and Snake River Blurfix. I dove with it this weekend with their tray and GR filter. I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom