Which gopro lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an other question about the same underwater solution:
I would like to take my go pro camera on a trip around the world later this year and I do not want to take two cases with me. Since I have learned that we need a special flat lens inside the water to produce good picture quality, my question is: Which of the three above mentioned solution provides acceptable picture quality outside the water as well?
I'm not 100% sure about the Backscatter case, but I believe the BlurFix is unique in that you don't remove the original domed lens of the GoPro case, you just add a sealed flat lens port over it. This means that by simply removing the flat screw-on 55mm clear filter, you restore the original dome port characteristics for above-water use. It should also be the case that simply using the intact BlurFix setup above water will also work fine - the flat lens port should not affect the topside image (that should also be the case with any of the UW lens solutions).

That is absolutely correct about the BlurFix setup. I have used it below water for boat dives and then unscrewed the lens to film dolphin pods. It is the best of both worlds! It is possible that the Backscatter setup has this ability as well but I didn't research it that much before going with BlurFix.

Enjoy!

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry I've been away for a bit but wanted to share a quick video explaining that you can use the GoPro Flat Lens BlurFix created by SRP above and below the waves while using the same housing. Take a look.

[video=youtube_share;9_DG44VST2E]http://youtu.be/9_DG44VST2E[/video]

Here is a video that I found when searching the difference between the 2 housings. I got the Backscatter, protective cap, and the Magic Filter.

[video=vimeo;39458592]http://vimeo.com/39458592[/video]

Here is a video that I found when searching the difference between the 2 housings. I got the Backscatter, protective cap, and the Magic Filter.

That comparison video shows nicely why I went with the Backscatter over the Blurfix. Looking through the original dome plus a filter is just going to reduce image quality. Also, I liked that the Backscatter can have its filters changed at any time.

In addition, any of the flat lens cases can work perfectly above water with no problems for image quality.

The new GoPro case would be ideal if it had a filter option.

The new GoPro case would be ideal if it had a filter option.

Backscatter, not ones to be outdone, are working with GoPro to come up with a flip up filter for GoPro's housing.

Back
Top Bottom