Which first, rescue or adv. nitrox and deco procedures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you seriously considering Adv. EAN & deco procedures with <25 dives? :confused:
"Too far, too fast"

Go get a few hundred dives in before you think about that. There's enough to see in <40ft of water to keep you occupied for a lifetime...

I will chime in a bit differently.

Where do you want to go in diving? This alone will tel you what to do and the path to take.

Rescue is always a good class but not essential. Your likely ready for rescue now if you want to take it. Adv. Nitrox is a very good class as well but you need to make sure you ready for it (it is entry tech). From your profile, your most likely not. Go dive and consider a cavern class or fundies first. Then, think about advanced nitrox/deco procedures.

There is no magical number of dives to be ready. My wife did cavern at 25-30 dives and loved it. She has since gone through Advanced nitrox and full cave. Finishing tec nitrox now (well as soon as schedules align). She also had the misfortune of learning to dive with a bunch of cave divers though.

stevead:
Seriously, your first instinct and everyones advice is right. In fact I'd be surprised if rescue wasn't a prereq for adv nitrox deco.

Prerequisites for TDI Advanced Nitrox are a Nitrox card and 25 dives.

Some may consider that a little on the light side............

O.K,a lot !

Theoretically you could start an Advanced Nitrox course with 25 dives to 30 feet (or whatever the minimum depth is that counts as a "dive" )

And if you did a nitrox course that does not require dives then you do not even have had to breathe nitrox before.

You do need to be 15 though!

Kinda Crazy IMHO

Rescue definitely. Then LOTS of diving, maybe 50-75 more dives before starting Adv Nitrox and Deco procedures.

Do Rescue and basic nitrox if needed then just go diving, get experience level up. The Adv Nx/Deco Proc combination demands a far higher skill and experience level than "standard" courses. You wouldn't be doing yourself or the course justice starting them with the bare minimum.

How many dives would you consider having before doing DM? I do have my nitrox cert. I took the class in between my OW and AOW, and did my nitrox dives during AOW check out dives. What are the pre-reqs for DM? I will more likely try to get my DM since you guys recommended a lot more experience before getting into tech.

If I were you I'd concentrate more on diving. Why do you want the DM cert? Do you want to teach? With less than 24 dives that seems a bit premature as does tech diving of course.

I'm in a similar predicament. I want to do both, but can't decide which one do do first.

Rescue, I want to do because I believe it will make me a safer diver, and may allow me to better help a fellow diver in distress.

Adv. Nitrox and Deco, I want to do because we have this wreck up here that I've been longing to dive ever since I took my OW 4 years ago.

Here's what I'm doing about it:

1) Gradually buying gear, and getting used to a given piece before moving on to the next. Last fall I got a drysuit. I'm getting comfortable with it, but figure I'll need another 10-15 dives to have proper reflexes. I like to try many different conditions (cold, less cold, lake, current, etc).

2) Sometime later this summer, I will be doing Rescue. I think I'm at the point where I may get max benefit from the class.

3) Once I feel I'm comfortable with the drysuit, I will start diving doubles. Doubles are required for the deco class (at least where I'll be taking it). So, whenever I'm comfortable using doubles, I'll sign up for the class. If it's this fall, fine. If it's next year or the one after, that's fine also.

Guess the point is, don't feel you have to rush things. There is plenty of time to dive, many things to do. Also plenty of opportunities to spend your cash!!! Do rescue, get used to the equipment that you'll need to do adv. nitrox & deco, then think about taking that class.

YMMV!!!

Good luck and be safe!

Alex

EDIT: For those wondering about the wreck in question: the Empress of Ireland. Although not so deep that I absolutely need to do deco (80-120 ft), I want to be able to extend my dive time (no penetration).

zackalack8999:
I am hoping to get a job at one of my LDS in the next few weeks, and as such, will receive a big discount on classes. So I was wondering, which class would you take first Rescue or adv. nitrox and deco procedures? I am leaning heavily towards rescue because I consider adv. nitrox to be the beginning of tech. diving whereas rescue class is still within the limits of recreational diving, and I don't think I have enough experience to start with tech diving at the moment.

One approach would be to interview the staff instructors at the shop you will be working at, find one that you respect and then asked for their preference. Different Instructors and different agencies have both gear and number of dive prereqs before allowing you into either class.

good luck and have fun diving.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom