which first, camera or housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, I'm having this debate in my little square head, should I buy a refurbished Oly 5050 then attempt to find the housing or vice versa? It seems that the housings are more difficult to find than the cameras at this point. I can't quite afford them both right now but would probably be able to pick up whichever I don't buy withing 2-3 weeks. Has anyone heard anything from Olympus about whether or not the housings have been discontinued? Thanks all, Greg

My knee-jerk reaction would be to get the camera first. You can use it on land and become familiar with it until you get the housing.

I also would go camera first. The camera can be used elsewhere, but a housing would end up sitting around, waiting for its camera to arrive.

Hmm, a little tough choice since the PT015 is not in production anymore so the longer you wait the more difficult it is to find. If you want to buy these in steps, you might have better luck with the C5060 and PT020

I'm having a hard time with the 5060. I really want the lower f-stop the 5050 has to offer. Also, I have heard you can't change as many things underwater with the 5060 as you can with the 5050. So, thats why I'm so set on the 5050. But, please feel free to give me input. Thanks, Greg

32.gif

gt2003,
As ssra30 stated the PT-015 is out of production. If you purchase the 5050 it is quite possible that you will not be able to obtain the housing at some point down the road.
I personally think it would be a mistake to but the 5050 camera and hope to get a PT-015 at some unknown point in the future.
The best decision is to buy both camera and housing at the same time when it comes to the prosumer housings.
As for announcements from Olympus as to specific housings being discontinued, that's not going to happen. They just don't announce those things to the general public. The dealers are usually the ones that find that out and they may or may not tell you depending on how many of that model they have in their inventory to get rid of.

ssra and Gilligan make very good points. But if you are sure you want the 5050, I would get the camera first. There are options for housings, even if they aren't your first choice. Get the camera while you can.

Yuzo still has new PT-15's on his website but it's stock only, he won't be getting more. If it'll only be 2-3 weeks to get the housing, I'd email Yuzo and tell him of your plans. He may hold one for you, or let you put a small deposit on one. That's my thought, I don't know if he does that but you might ask.

What about the housing functions of the PT 015 vs. the PT 020? I thought I'd read where you can change about anything with the PT 015 but not with the PT 020. Thanks, Greg

Every single camera function is available with the PT-15. I would suppose the same with the PT-20, I haven't heard otherwise, but I really have no personal knowledge of the PT-20.

Stock of PT-015 is drying up quickly in Japan, but then again, they only manufactured several thousand.

Most dealers (like myself) find it hard to keep product on the shelves and I doubt that it will last long. A few weeks can mean the difference between getting it or not.

BTW, I only have 1 unit left, at $199, but will throw in an extra set of O-rings for free if you purchase. If you want it, you must let me know within the next 24 hours as I am leaving on a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom