Which fins to tote?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going on a two week trip to Indonesia. The first week will be land based diving near Bali. The second week will be a Komodo Liveaboard.

I am not sure which fins will be best to take. I took my split fins to a Turks and Caicos liveaboard last year and was happy enough on most dives. Here in NC I seem to always want my paddles. Not knowing what the diving is LIKE in Indonesia, it is hard to guess which ones will be the best for the conditions.

I like both. I like the very natural kick style of the splits and my tiny ankles don't get so fatigued on multi dive days. But I can't frog kick in them. Here in NC I prefer the paddles because I know that I can power through a tough current in them, I CAN do a frog kick when I am inside of the wrecks so that I don't silt it out for everyone else, but I have never had them on for 5 dives a day. My ankles are built for a 70 pound girl, and let's just say, I am not one.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Hi lulubelle -

First off, I think Indo is diving heaven! We have our fourth and fifth trips there already booked. We're doing Komodo and Bali this fall, and have another trip "out there" further. I think you're gonna like it.

Second, I pray the splits vs. paddles argument does not get started for the bazillionth time, and worse yet, drug into the Indo forum! Restraint, people! :wink:

I've used full-foot splits there on two liveaboards plus day boats, and never hit current strong enough, and sustained long enough (not to say that there aren't strong currents there!), that they weren't enough fin. That covers Raja Ampat, Bunaken/Lembeh/Siladen, and riding the "Wakatobi Express." But then, splits are not all the same ... some definitely have more power than others. I've learned how to do a sculling stroke with them, knees bent like frog kick, that is very effective when you need to keep the silt down, as in wrecks and muck. Definitely my weapon of choice on a boat!

Having said that, our trip this fall will include Tulamben, with lots of shore diving, and the shore is all volcanic goose eggs (and ostrich eggs). So now I'm scratching my noggin, because I don't want to pack two pairs of fins plus a pair of booties, though that would be ideal ... full-foot splits on the boat, paddles and booties in Tulamben.

So in the end, I'll probably end up with the paddles and booties, though it's not my preference. I guess it's good that I have them, if only for the rocky beach. Good luck on your decision!

PS - I'd be curious when/where you're doing your Bali segment. Also, I hope you have shore time built into Bali ... a beautiful island with the world's nicest people! PM me if you want.

Last edited:
Hi lulubelle -

First off, I think Indo is diving heaven! We have our fourth and fifth trips there already booked. We're doing Komodo and Bali this fall, and have another trip "out there" further. I think you're gonna like it.

Second, I pray the splits vs. paddles argument does not get started for the bazillionth time, and worse yet, drug into the Indo forum! Restraint, people! :wink:

I've used full-foot splits there on two liveaboards plus day boats, and never hit current strong enough, and sustained long enough (not to say that there aren't strong currents there!), that they weren't enough fin. But then, they're not all the same ... some definitely have more power than others. I've learned how to do a sculling stroke with them, knees bent like frog kick, that is very effective when you need to keep the silt down, as in wrecks and muck. Definitely my weapon of choice on a boat!

Having said that, our trip this fall will include Tulamben, with lots of shore diving, and the shore is all volcanic goose eggs (and ostrich eggs). So now I'm scratching my noggin, because I don't want to pack two pairs of fins plus a pair of booties, though that would be ideal ... full-foot splits on the boat, paddles and booties in Tulamben.

So in the end, I'll probably end up with the paddles and booties, though it's not my preference. I guess it's good that I have them, if only for the rocky beach. Good luck on your decision!

PS - I'd be curious when/where you're doing your Bali segment. Also, I hope you have shore time built into Bali ... a beautiful island with the world's nicest people! PM me if you want.

Amen on the splits versus paddles argument, I have BOTH for a reason. But Indonesia is a new diving environment for me. The splits are Atomic, the paddles TUSA Imprex. I have a very narrow foot and have no choice but to wear boots with either. I'll have to ask the folks I am going with if we are doing shore diving, any diving where silt out is an issue, etc. I'd love to hear more about how you adapted your kick for wrecks with split fins. I can't quite visualize that.

I'll ask the club I am going with the details of our sites near Bali, though the reply will likely be in Spanish, which I can only translate loosely. I do know that we will be in three different hotels that week to take advantage of what the area has to offer. I'll PM you when I get the info.

I'm excited. Last year was a bad year for me, I am building 2010 to be a much better one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom