Which DSLR should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjpell:
Howard, I do not know of anyone on this board more qualified to talk about camera's and uw photography then my buddy over at reef photo-- Ryan. His store is about a 5 minute walk from your place by the corner of Oakland and A1A.

http://reefphoto.com/

I have been in there when 2 people come into his store all jabbery thinking they know everything about photography and have the best gear bla bla bla.. 5 minutes after talking to Ryan they walk out silent and enlightened.

He KNOWS his stuff, give him a call and you will not be sorry. He also is very kind and understanding of us newbie’s. He even lets you use some of the stuff before buying it! (Strobes, housings, ect..)

No pun intended, but the best uw camera resource in South Florida is across the street from you.

best,

-=ben

Thanks. I know Ryan... I think I know what he will say too.

@ Rooster - I don't have THAT much cash to spend.

Mike Veitch:
Yep, Ryan does know his stuff... good advice Ben!
What do you think Yappie? which lens should I start off with?

howarde:
What do you think Yappie? which lens should I start off with?
60mm or Sigma 50mm. Concentrate on one thing at a time and not having to deal with zoom at the beginning is nice for trying to get used to the handling of the camera etc. Also, it will force you to get closer to the subject and not use the zoom..
It will also force you to concentrate more on one type of photo and really improve that area, going in with a zoom doesn't give you a game plan per se...

But the zoom you are talkin about a great walk around topside lens!

howarde:
Thanks. I know Ryan... I think I know what he will say too.

@ Rooster - I don't have THAT much cash to spend.

Ok then, D200, Aquatica housing, flat port, 60mm, one DS 125 or even 50 with manual controller. You can up grade to all the rest as your skill, interests, and budget allows.

Mike Veitch:
60mm or Sigma 50mm. Concentrate on one thing at a time and not having to deal with zoom at the beginning is nice for trying to get used to the handling of the camera etc. Also, it will force you to get closer to the subject and not use the zoom..
It will also force you to concentrate more on one type of photo and really improve that area, going in with a zoom doesn't give you a game plan per se...

But the zoom you are talkin about a great walk around topside lens!

While I haven't used a DSLR at all... I DID used to work @ a camera store, and get to play around with F4's and other SLR flim cameras. I don't think that it will be a difficult transition for me...

My plan is to get the DSLR and 1 more strobe. Then in our collection we'll have the 2 DS-125's and the 20D, and the S70 P&S. Michelle and I already decided.

I can shoot the DSLR, and she'll use the S70 w/o a strobe.

OR

She can use the DSLR, and I'll shoot video.

So really Mike... are you saying that it's not advisable to have a zoom lens for underwater use because of "too much to deal with" or is it just not a good idea in general? I would think that something like the zoom lens I mentioned is good wide angle, and good for macro too. No?? I really wasn't even thinking about a fixed lens at all. hmm...

I've started a different thread titled "Which type of Lens for DSLR?" to get some more advice... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=144827

Thanks so far... let's all move over there..

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 20D for a body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom