Which DSLR should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Actually, it looks like I was wrong about the D70s having more MP than the D70 anyway. Still, I've seen several 4 & 5mp dSLR shots blown up to 20x24 that came out fantastic. 6.1mp should be ample, although you get a bit more cropability with a higher MP cam...
Yes - I know the benefits of more MP's as far as being able to crop etc.

I am pretty much leaning towards the 20D at this point. I asked a few local (Colorado) pros, and they like the 20D over the D200. I'm not rushing into anything, as my items for sale still have 6 days to go at auction.

I am wondering if anyone would say "don't get the 20D" and if so... why?

I have the 20d and love it. It's a great little camera. I bought it specifically to use underwater. I also have a 5D and two 1d MKII's. The files and and color of the 20d are excellent. They rival my MKII's but not quite the 5d which is a 12mp.

A friend of mine, also a pro photographer, just bought the D200 for topside work. So far she's loving it. Much better color and less noise than other Nikons.

If you are building a system from scratch you can't go wrong with Canon. I bought the 10-22 with an Ikelite housing and 8 inch dome port. The 10-22 is very impressive. It's sharp and has good contrast. It's much better than the 12-24 Nikon I used to own.

Good luck.

So... anybody else have any advice here?

Which lens(es) would you say I should be looking at?

60mm macro, 100 macro, 10-20 sigma or 10-22 Canon (depends on your budget LOL). The new Sigma 17-70 macro is very intriguing, too. A friend just ordered it and I can't wait to lay hands on it...I mean, see how he likes it :wink:

Woody's dioptre. A teleconverter if you like the teeny stuff.

I really like my Canon 20D and I am just learning to use it!

alcina:
The new Sigma 17-70 macro is very intriguing, too. A friend just ordered it and I can't wait to lay hands on it...I mean, see how he likes it :wink:

I was thinking about the Canon EF-S 17-85 for a starter

Howard, I do not know of anyone on this board more qualified to talk about camera's and uw photography then my buddy over at reef photo-- Ryan. His store is about a 5 minute walk from your place by the corner of Oakland and A1A.

http://reefphoto.com/

I have been in there when 2 people come into his store all jabbery thinking they know everything about photography and have the best gear bla bla bla.. 5 minutes after talking to Ryan they walk out silent and enlightened.

He KNOWS his stuff, give him a call and you will not be sorry. He also is very kind and understanding of us newbie’s. He even lets you use some of the stuff before buying it! (Strobes, housings, ect..)

No pun intended, but the best uw camera resource in South Florida is across the street from you.

best,

-=ben

Mike Veitch:
Yep, Ryan does know his stuff... good advice Ben!

Ok, after reading the personal profile of Mike Veitch, I stand corrected about people qualified on this board for giving excellent camera help.:confused: Mike KNOWS his stuff too:D

Wow, impressive shots and nice work man!

-=ben

howarde:
So... anybody else have any advice here?

Which lens(es) would you say I should be looking at?

If I was spending your money I'd get a D200, Aquatica housing,with the 8" dome and flat ports for the 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro lenses. I'd have the weinkemp Ittl converter installed and go with a pair of Inon 240 strobes. I am currently using a D70 and Ikelite housing fith dual ds125 strobes. I have a D200 I have been using for land. I'll be putting the D200 into an Aquatica and ditching the Ikelite stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom