Which DSLR should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been considering a DSLR - to add to my collection of gear. I am thinking either the EOS 20D or the Nikon D200. They are similar in price, and I was wondering what other people thought.

The 20D vs. the Rebel XT - looks like the 20D is a faster, better camera, for not that much more money.

Why do people like the D70 so much, if it's pretty low in the MP count??

I am either looking for a Canon or Nikon... So I don't want people to throw out random "you should buy this ____ camera" type suggestions... Thanks.

howarde:
I've been considering a DSLR - to add to my collection of gear. I am thinking either the EOS 20D or the Nikon D200. They are similar in price, and I was wondering what other people thought.

The 20D vs. the Rebel XT - looks like the 20D is a faster, better camera, for not that much more money.

Why do people like the D70 so much, if it's pretty low in the MP count??

I am either looking for a Canon or Nikon... So I don't want people to throw out random "you should buy this ____ camera" type suggestions... Thanks.

I'll have to remember to visit you again :wink:.

In all seriousness have a look at these links..
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=120748

Comprehensive review of the Nikon D70.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

D70 vs the EOS20D
http://www.completedigitalphotography.com/?p=341

And here's a comparison between the D70 and the EOS350 or Rebel XT(depends where you are)
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD70versusRebelXT.shtml

I'd also check out some of the threads on digitaldiver or wetpixel especially on this subject. Since it seems to come up quite regularly :).

Wish I had more input, but i'm just a compact guy.
You're sure to get lots of helpful info here though...

I was hoping to hear some thoughts on the D200 since I haven't heard squat about that one, and everyone touts the D70, which has the lowest amount of MP's in the lot.

Between 20D and D200, I personally would go for D200. The only main benefit for 20D is that if you plan to use a lot of high ISO setting especially above ISO800, 20D has significantly lower noise than any Nikon dSLR at high ISO. When it comes to cropped sensor, Nikon generally has advantage over Canon in wide angle lens selection in the past, namely the availability of 10.5mm fisheye and 12-24mm. However, that has changed recently. Sigma and Tokina offer 12-24mm now although Nikon is supposed to be a bit better but at significantly higher cost. Sigma recently released 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I am not sure how good it is yet but it should fill in the gap for the missing wide angle lens for Canon. However I am not sure which housing manufacturers will support it but I imagine it will be quite a popular lens especially for Canon user. At macro end Nikon has a 70-180mm macro lens that Canon does not have an equavalent counterpart but otherwise both are very similar. AF at low light on D70s is pretty decent. 20D is not significantly better but D200 is quite an improvement over D70s in that regard (from my limited play time with D200 and 20D/5D).
D70s is actually pretty good and at 6 high quality megapixel, you can actually blow up the picture quite nicely and it is definitely good enough for a magazine cover.
All in all, if I am starting from scratch, I think I would prefer D200 over 20D but I would prefer 20D over D70s. The most interesting and difficult choice would be Canon 5D vs D200 or 5D vs D2X.
Housing wise, D200 and 20D have plenty of choices, much more so than the current 30D.

Dennis uses the Canon Rebel XT, which I believe was suggested-specified by Mike Veitch. You've seen Dennis's shots, pretty nice.

dlndavid:
Dennis uses the Canon Rebel XT, which I believe was suggested-specified by Mike Veitch. You've seen Dennis's shots, pretty nice.
I do like the Rebel XT, and my neighbor photography store (below my store) likes the Rebel XT over the D70 and Canon over Nikon in Digital Imaging all together (he sells both). In Film cameras, that's another story though :wink:

I am using money from selling off my sound equipment, so I guess it will come down to how much I have at the end.

However, for the price... the Nikon D200 is more MP's, which I know aren't the end all, but closer in price to the 20D.

This is my quandary...

The D70s has more MP than the standard D70, if resolution is a big deal and you are planning to make larger prints.

I'm a fan of Nikon colors moreso than Canons, less PP is needed to really make them pop.

I know you are only looking for C & N... but if I were to buy a dSLR at this time for UW usage, it'd be the Oly E330 w/liveview LCD. It'd just make composing the picture that much easier while UW...

SuPrBuGmAn:
The D70s has more MP than the standard D70, if resolution is a big deal and you are planning to make larger prints.

I would like to be able to make larger 20X24 or ever bigger if I could - depending on the awesomeness of the particular photo.

Actually, it looks like I was wrong about the D70s having more MP than the D70 anyway. Still, I've seen several 4 & 5mp dSLR shots blown up to 20x24 that came out fantastic. 6.1mp should be ample, although you get a bit more cropability with a higher MP cam...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom