Which Dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have a whites, just got it second hand, but i'm very impressed so far, i've also seen quite a few divers in Monterey and channel islands diving them and all were very happy, DUI is the local favorite no doubt, but you can chaeck out whites too.

as for the why go dry question, believe me it makes that second dive go much easier, i know david says he was toasty, i beleive from another thread he was diving monterey bay, carmel bay is generally colder, it was 48 for my first dive, anything mid 50's i'm okay in a wetsuit, for the first dive, and if it's very warm liek it was on saturday then yeah the second one is okay too, but give you 48F, dark overcast day with a cold breeze, and multiple dives, (try a third/fourth in a wetsuit..ouch) and you'll love it..those are the days i wanted a drysuit..

I have recently purchased a DUI CLX 450. I have about 10 dives on it. It seems to be tough and well made. I intend to use it for my divemaster/IDC/instructing classes. I also want to do more wreck diving. It has been great so far.

If you are into wreck diving and want a more sturdy suit - the CLX 450 is my recommendation. If you want a high quality light weight suit - the TLS350 is my recomndendation.

boatdiver842:
I'm looking to buy a new drysuit. After spending the weekend in LA at the DIVE SHOW my choices have been narrowed to three- DUI BARE DIVING CONCEPTS.
My independant study of photographers showed most use DUI. When asked why they say it's the best; but they don't know why. The people who do not use DUI say their suit is as good as DUI without the expense.

I'm looking for comfort and longevity. Any feed back?

For comfort, get the one that fits you best. Drysuit comfort and performance is more about proper fit than a choice of brand or model.

For longevity, the DUI CLX450 or TLS350 with cordura overlay would be a good way to go. I had a Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro ... put about 700 dives on it and it held up generally well, although I went through three zippers (and those are expensive to replace). I'm currently using the CLX450 ... I've got maybe 80 dives on it since February and it's a great suit.

Another suit worth considering is Andy's. One of my instructor friends owns a DS3 cordura suit, and it's honestly one of the nicest drysuits I've seen anywhere.

Expect to pay for quality ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Another suit worth considering is Andy's. One of my instructor friends owns a DS3 cordura suit, and it's honestly one of the nicest drysuits I've seen anywhere.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have an Andy's custom DS3 in extreme nylon. Test dove it today. A very nice drysuit, the Andy's people are great to deal with, and if you search around among the Andy's dealers you can find a price considerably below retail. Talk to Debbie Knight at Knight Diver Aquatic Center in Edgewood, MD (410-679-6413). Andy's makes only trilaminate shell drysuits, but they offer three different materials ( 2 oz. Nylon, 4.25 oz. Ballistics grade nylon and Cordura). Andy's has a pretty good website as well
www.andysdrysuit.com

I have enjoyed keyman status from DUI for many years and currently dive two of their suits (CF200 and TLS 350) however I have to say that in the past few years the quality of the materials used in the construction of these suits seems to me to have suffered. I have been very impressed with DC suits. My suggestion is to look at both and do a real value comparison and buy accordingly. These two brands own the drysuit market in my opinion... everything else is an also ran... with the exception of Northern Diver.

I just got my DC UltraFlex Pro couple of weeks ago.
Did only 10 dives on it but like it very much.

Doppler:
everything else is an also ran... with the exception of Northern Diver.

My advice ... if someone tries to sell you a Northern Diver suit, RUN AWAY!

The suit itself is quite OK ... although I don't think the quality is quite on par with DUI, Diving Concepts, or Andy's. But the customer service is the absolute worst of any dive product I've ever owned. My "made to order" Northern Diver Cortex drysuit took four months from measurement to delivery ... and I don't know who's body they made it for but it wasn't mine ... not unless I grew four inches and lost about 30 lbs.

That's why I replaced it with a DUI CLX450 10 months later ... if a drysuit doesn't fit properly, it's worthless. And I have too many dive buddies and associates who went through months of frustration trying to get a straight answer and a decent fitting suit out of Northern Diver and their U.S. distributors ... I have to believe their problems are systemic.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a CLX 450 and it has been a very good suit for hte most part. The two comments I have are 1) the exhaust valves can be flaky. 2) The quality of the seals that the suit came with (I didn't go the zip seal route) of questionable. The rest of the suit has been bullet proof so far.

On ND, as in many things, YMMV. I was able to wear a stock size, live near a distribution warehouse so no problem trying a couple on, getting one that fits well. Good price, I'm warm and dry.

I have a DUI CF200 sig. Custom cut for me. And a Gates VSN1100 that I bought first. I still like the Gates more. But, DUI makes good suits. Just my opinion..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom