Which DR wing to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ japan-diver:

thank you for the input. As I understand winged type BCD, it has only one bad characteristic, that is it will flip you face down if it's inflated too much on the surface. It's supposed to support only your head out of water. I didn't know that it's possible to achieve that you can be higher out of the water?

@ams511:

the amounts of lead that i wrote in my first post is used to make me negative with my full current setup (suit, hood, gloves, regs, lights, smb, fins ...). The plate usually weighs 5 lbs. This is the amount I will take of my belt. Probably more because I'll get rid of my current jacket BCD which has 6 lbs positive buoyancy.

Last edited:
YooHoo I have been using a DR Voyager with the SS Transplate and a steel 100 to dive in our chilly west coast waters in a 7 mil wetsuit. For about 1.5 years and 70 or so dives. It also transfers quite well to warm water use with a AL80 and a 3/2 mil full wet suit. It's a great rig. Plenty of lift but nice and streamlined.

---------- Post Merged at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Proper minimum weighting and distribution of that weight can reduce if not eliminate the face first float tendency. You will find you can inflate a wing and then lean back onto it and with a kick or two shift your torso on top of the wing, sort of like a (very small) raft, and your head and face will be relatively high out of the water.
A couple or three dives and you will be lovin the wing. :cool2:

Thank you KevinG58. You have confirmed my thoughts regarding Voyager, that comparing it to the other 40 lbs wings it has much more streamlined design.

And thanks for the tip for floating on the surface :).

---------- Post Merged at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 AM ----------

I've decided to go with oxycheq package and mach 5 30 lbs wing. Thank you guys and you Pao for suggesting this wing.

Last edited:
I've got the DR Transplate with s/s backplate and Voyager EXP wing, and my wife has the same setup with the Travel EXP wing. We dive both cold So Cal water (wet and dry) and warmer tropical water; and both HP steel (mostly) and Al tanks here (Al tanks everywhere else). So Cal diving is either drysuits (DUI TLS 350) or in a 7 mm full suit and hooded vest (occasionally just a hood during the summer). We got the DiveRite rigs last year, and since then DiveRite has reduced the amount of stated lift in the wings (no change to the wing), so now the Voyager is only rated at 35 lbs lift (Travel EXP now rated at 25 lbs lift). We also have the DR integrated weight pockets that hold up to 16 lbs (8 lbs/side). My wife is about 108 lbs and I'm about 160 lbs

I'm now buying my wife a Voyager wing, since she's not comfortable with the amount of lift in the Travel wing in cold water with weight in the pockets. Diving wet with a HP 80 steel tank and weight in the pockets, the rig has trouble floating on the surface when fully inflated (as in taking it off to get into an inflatable dinghy). My Voyager wing floats reasonably well on the surface, and with me wearing it, floats just fine. The Voyager wing is bigger than the Travel wing, but not ridiculously so; both are very nicely streamlined.

Neither has any trouble floating us head-up on the surface; you just need to lean back a little. We came from many years of Scubapro Classic BCs and haven't had any problems

If your diving is anything like ours, you will love the DiveRite gear :) And yes, DR is outstanding quality and value. I would buy the same setup again in a heartbeat

Some friends tried ours earlier this year (they are both a bit larger than us), and both bought DR s/s backplates, Transplate harnesses and Voyager wings, which they used when we all went on vacation to the Bahamas in July. They also loved the gear

---------- Post Merged at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I've got the DR Transplate with s/s backplate and Voyager EXP wing, and my wife has the same setup with the Travel EXP wing. We dive both cold So Cal water (wet and dry) and warmer tropical water; and both HP steel (mostly) and Al tanks here (Al tanks everywhere else). So Cal diving is either drysuits (DUI TLS 350) or in a 7 mm full suit and hooded vest (occasionally just a hood during the summer). We got the DiveRite rigs last year, and since then DiveRite has reduced the amount of stated lift in the wings (no change to the wing), so now the Voyager is only rated at 35 lbs lift (Travel EXP now rated at 25 lbs lift). We also have the DR integrated weight pockets that hold up to 16 lbs (8 lbs/side). My wife is about 108 lbs and I'm about 160 lbs

I'm now buying my wife a Voyager wing, since she's not comfortable with the amount of lift in the Travel wing in cold water with weight in the pockets. Diving wet with a HP 80 steel tank and weight in the pockets, the rig has trouble floating on the surface when fully inflated (as in taking it off to get into an inflatable dinghy). My Voyager wing floats reasonably well on the surface, and with me wearing it, floats just fine. The Voyager wing is bigger than the Travel wing, but not ridiculously so; both are very nicely streamlined.

Neither has any trouble floating us head-up on the surface; you just need to lean back a little. We came from many years of Scubapro Classic BCs and haven't had any problems

If your diving is anything like ours, you will love the DiveRite gear :) And yes, DR is outstanding quality and value. I would buy the same setup again in a heartbeat

Some friends tried ours earlier this year (they are both a bit larger than us), and both bought DR s/s backplates, Transplate harnesses and Voyager wings, which they used when we all went on vacation to the Bahamas in July. They also loved the gear

Looks like the YooHoo has made his choice already but for the sake of those reading along later.

I dive a Hp Steel 110Cf (340Bar 13.6L Steel) tank and 7mm SemiDry on a steel Backplate, normally with 11lbs of lead on my belt.
My new DR Voyager EXP arrived yesterday and whilst I've yet to dive it, it looks to be a perfect replacement for my old wing. Big enough in profile for this largish tank without looking bulky and enough lift if I need a 30cf or 40cf sling/stage tank in addition.

We got the DiveRite rigs last year, and since then DiveRite has reduced the amount of stated lift in the wings (no change to the wing), so now the Voyager is only rated at 35 lbs lift (Travel EXP now rated at 25 lbs lift).

This change is due to the EU regulations which demands that the lift of the wing must be measured in fresh water. I think that Dive Rite is the only company that measures lift this way. For the comparable purposes you must still use the old info 27 lbs and 40 lbs for Voyager which is measured in the salt water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom