Which digital format/resolution do you shoot with?

Which digital format/resolution do you shoot with?

• TIFF (no compression)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • SHQ (low compression)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • HQ (medium compression)

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • SQ1 (high compression)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SQ2 (very high compression)

• 2200x1700

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 1600x1200

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 1280x960

• 1048x768

• 640x480

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xoomboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wondering what people tend to use for digital format and resolution settings when taking underwater photos. My C-4000 can take TIFF, Super-high Quality, High Quality, and Standard Quality shots, at a range of resolutions.

I know that it has to do with how much memory you have available, and how many pics you're wanting to take, but on average, which settings do you use?

Matt

I always use the best resolution and the best quality... 'cause I can always reduce after download, but I can't always take the shot again.

I have a 128Meg card with my A40, which gives me about 128 shots [it's a 2.0 megapixel].

I generally use SHQ. I never know if I'll get shots worth enlarging or not so I go on the assumption that all shots will be perfect and I'll want to print posters of them all! :D Like spectre says, I can lower the res if I want to after the fact, but I won't have a chance at the same shot again.

I agree with you as well. I have shot mine in HQ and SHQ, and the difference is night and day. TIFF is the best setting as far as quality, but it's eats so much of my memory cards, I only use SHQ. The quality of shot at SHQ is amazing and I have a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Wreck Ranger

My general rule with digital photography is always usest the higest resolution possible. Having said that, my Sony DSC-P5 allows me to save raw TIFF images, but at 2048x1536 each image is 9Mb, and takes 15-20 seconds to save.

So I use high quality JPEG, at about 1.2Mb per image. The prints that I have made are impecible.

I tend to shoot with the higest possible setting.....there's no guarantee that you can ever get a second shot, and why not make it as good as you can get it the first time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom