Which cruise gives you the most diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Were going on our first cruise in sept-oct this year after out July trip to Bonaire :wink: We choose Bonaire to dive for a week, and now the cruise. I have a few questions, which cruiseline out of ports of FL, give you the most diving on a number of days? This will be our first cruise for both of us, but i have to mix in diving for both my wife and I. I Also notice that the ship needs to pull into the port for enough time to get a dive in, and return , so im looking at cruises that pull into ports for more then a few hours, any suggestions? I just bought a Olympus 5060 Dig camera, and am also looking to take my first pictures going on both trips, so i was think of a western cruise, like Mexico, and maybe some of the islands, any suggestions? Were looking to travel Sept-Oct this year, thanks!!

Also were looking for a 7 day cruise, we really like the the new crusie ships with the rock climbing walls, etc, i think its Royal Carribeen, thanks!

Had a blast on a 7-day cruise with RC in September last year--any of the locations you mention would be great--most cruises typically stop for an entire day in most ports...however, I would recommend doing all your diving through a local DO and not relying on your cruise line for diving. It will likely be more expensive to go through the cruise line, and if there is "not enough interest" the cruise line might cancel the dive trip...

See a similar thread on this here.

I would recommend Western Caribbean. Most of the cruise ship companies stop at Cozumel and Grand Cayman (both excellent dive locations). If you can find one that also stops in Roatan and/or Belize there should be good diving there also (I haven't personally dived either of these locations off the ship).

Southern Caribbean itinerary should be next best (if you start in Puerto Rico). Then you can usually get Aruba and a couple of the islands in the chain working your way back north (Dominica, Grenada, St Thomas, ST Martin, etc)

I would research the itineraries and then pick based on the dive opportunities. Good place to review the itineraries is on Travelocity.com and/or the cruise company web sites.

Rich Hagelin

Bayou Platypus:
Had a blast on a 7-day cruise with RC in September last year--any of the locations you mention would be great--most cruises typically stop for an entire day in most ports...however, I would recommend doing all your diving through a local DO and not relying on your cruise line for diving. It will likely be more expensive to go through the cruise line, and if there is "not enough interest" the cruise line might cancel the dive trip...

See a similar thread on this here.

The problem with going through a local DO is that their schedule (especially boat schedule) most likely will not coencide with the ship's schedule.
Booking through the cruise line may be couple of bucks more, but includes transfers back and forth to the ship. Oh! and that guarantee that the ship will be there for u at the end.

As far as cruise line cancelling due to not enough interest, last cruise I was on (Holland America) two out of three excursions I was the only diver booked.

FredT:
Bad attitude I know, but hitting a liveaboard dive boat will get you much more, and usually much better, diving for less bucks.

Ditto.

From what I hear the Cuan Law is more of mini cruise ship than a pure "liveaboard". I get the feeliing that they do a lot more excursions, tours, etc than your average liveaboard. Might make a good compromise.

Jeff

JRO:
Ditto.

From what I hear the Cuan Law is more of mini cruise ship than a pure "liveaboard". I get the feeliing that they do a lot more excursions, tours, etc than your average liveaboard. Might make a good compromise.

Jeff

Yes, i thought about the live aboard, but being were doing a "Dive trip" unquote per my wife to bonaire, since she says theres not much else to do there but dive, im trying to keep her happy and do a cruise, as we both would have a great time, but would like to mix some diving in, i hear alot of people mention that the cruises pull into ports late and leave earlley, not leaving enough time to dive, im trying to find a cruise that will accomadate diving as well i couldnt imagine going to all these beautiful places and not being able to dive them :)

FLTEKDIVER:
Also were looking for a 7 day cruise, we really like the the new crusie ships with the rock climbing walls, etc, i think its Royal Carribeen, thanks!

Hope it is not too late to answer your question... I went on Royal Carribean Sovereign of the Seas, yes, they have rock climbing walls, basketball court, gambling area, and many more... I would recommend this ship to everyone but during that time, I wasn't certified diver. We went to Cococay Island and Nassau... Seems to be fabulous divesites.

wildmtn:
Hope it is not too late to answer your question... I went on Royal Carribean Sovereign of the Seas, yes, they have rock climbing walls, basketball court, gambling area, and many more... I would recommend this ship to everyone but during that time, I wasn't certified diver. We went to Cococay Island and Nassau... Seems to be fabulous divesites.

Thanks for the info, we still havnt booked a cruise yet, but being the wife just got certified and now loves diving, she cant get enough, i will be booking one soon and making sure it has diving in the scud for sure, thanks for your info, im going to look the cruise up now that you suggested, thanks!

FLTEKDIVER:
Were going on our first cruise in sept-oct this year after out July trip to Bonaire :wink: We choose Bonaire to dive for a week, and now the cruise. I have a few questions, which cruiseline out of ports of FL, give you the most diving on a number of days? This will be our first cruise for both of us, but i have to mix in diving for both my wife and I. I Also notice that the ship needs to pull into the port for enough time to get a dive in, and return , so im looking at cruises that pull into ports for more then a few hours, any suggestions? I just bought a Olympus 5060 Dig camera, and am also looking to take my first pictures going on both trips, so i was think of a western cruise, like Mexico, and maybe some of the islands, any suggestions? Were looking to travel Sept-Oct this year, thanks!!

From Miami to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Coz.
As stated by others you can-not always get a charter to coincide with your boat docking so we booked all our dives with NCL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom