Which Cozumel AI with toddlers and non-divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capybara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've going on vacation with a non-diving couple in June. We'll each have a 21 month old toddler with us. Initially they wanted to go to Punta Cana in Dominican Republic (which supposedly has poor diving) but I think we're getting them to consider Cozumel instead. They want to go with an all-inclusive. We both want a toddler-friendly resort with nice facilities for kids (like a kid's pool, space for them to run around, play structure). Which AI would you pick and why? How's the food? If you've stayed there with kids, how was it for them?
Cozumel Palace
Occidental Grand
Occidental Allegro
Iberostar
We're leaning towards Cozumel Palace because it seems nicer and is closer to town, but they like Iberostar.
Thanks!

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Palace from 2/13 to 2/20. I can't say enough nice things about the place; it was clean, great service, and the food was quite good. It was close enough to town for us to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The staff tried to be as helpful as possible, and were extremely friendly. My wife (non-diver) and daughter made use of and loved the spa facilities. We all have decided we will return to Cozumel, and will stay at the Palace again.

We did see a few toddlers there, and saw the staff make every effort to accomodate their needs. They have a small "kids club", but I don't know anything about those activities. There is no kiddie pool, although the pool has several sections so there are often uncrowded areas. There is no real shallow area for small kids, though. There are some sandy areas that would be good for running around, but I'd want to keep a close eye on a small child there; the ocean access is close by and by ladder and there are places a small child could fall in - the dock, etc.. We did not see a play structure, and there is a trampoline in the water - but that is not for toddlers.

My daughter (14) and I dove with BlueXTSea, and they picked us up each morning at the dock with a fast boat. This worked great for us, and we did not regret not staying further south. We all loved the food, the rooms, even the cheesy evening activities at the Palace, and the intimacy of the place compared to the big AI's on the mainland. No reservations for dinner, eat what and where you want, top shelf drinks and bottled wine, 24 hr room service and unlimited phone calls to the US all included. After diving, we would hook up with my wife, hit the pool, play volleyball, have a drink and a sandwich or nachos at the pool bar and relax.

The Palace was a great choice for us and we will return. You have different considerations with the toddlers along, and may want to look for information on what the other places may offer for that age group. I hope some of this helps, and have a great time!:D

I've just got back from Coz & have hundreds of photos to upload plus a few reviews to write so if you can wait a few days I think I can be of help on some parts of your questions but not the food side of it because I haven't stayed at all of those recently enough to compare them. Allegr has the kids stuff your looking for, Iberostar has a great kids club & good food, and the Palace is on another level and the price is too.

I stayed in Cozumel Palace in Dec 07 with my wife. It is family friendly; we saw several small kids and older kids too. It is very nice and the price is on the high side, but if you're looking for a super-comfy experience I recommend it.

Here's the link to what I just posted re the HVWS (Allegro)
Cozumel Forum: Holiday Village grounds photos - TripAdvisor
and if you scroll down to the bottom of my album page I have albums for the Iberostar plus waterfront area of the Palace. I'll soon have an album for the Grand on line too but frankly I prefer the Iberostar over it unless there is a major cost difference.
albums are here
Picasa Web Albums - Larry

We did see a few toddlers there, and saw the staff make every effort to accomodate their needs. They have a small "kids club", but I don't know anything about those activities. There is no kiddie pool, although the pool has several sections so there are often uncrowded areas. There is no real shallow area for small kids, though. There are some sandy areas that would be good for running around, but I'd want to keep a close eye on a small child there; the ocean access is close by and by ladder and there are places a small child could fall in - the dock, etc.. We did not see a play structure, and there is a trampoline in the water - but that is not for toddlers.

Qnape...my wife and I were there the same time you were. We dove with Aqua Safari, but probably bumped into you at the resort.

The small part of the pool on the other side of the bar is shallower, but I don't remember if it is shallow enough for a toddler to stand. There are also a couple of very shallow sections with chairs on the edges of the pool, which would be a good spot to sit with a toddler. The kids club looked like it was very small.

We are Palace members, and two times a year, we can let someone have our pricing on the Palace weeks. It's much, much cheaper than booking through Orbitz or Travelocity. You make the reservation through Palace to pay, but you just need a referral code from us. If anyone is interested, just PM me. We had a couple SBers do this last year, and it was a really easy process.

I am going to add my 2 cents for Iberostar. We have stayed there as a non dive couple and a dive couple. The resort and services have always been great. We were there last in November 2008. We have noticed the attention that they have given to the kids and plan to bring our 9 year old to Iberostar on our next trip. For the diver Dressel has never let us down and because of the location the short trips to the dive sites are good. If you have any questions that we could answer about the resort, we would be happy to try to help.

capybara-
We stayed at Park Royal, and found it to be a family oriented place with quite a few kids running around. There was a kids play area that I didn't really pay attention to, but it looked like it had a water slide and a kiddie pool. I noticed at least some days they had activities for the kids. The main pool was cold, but kids didn't seem to mind. The food was good, but you had to make reservations at two of the three restaraunts. The place is very nice, essentially new since Wilma and kept spotlessly clean, but it's probably not as nice as Palace. I havent stayed at Coz Palace; we walked through it while in town, and it looked to be on par with Spa Palace on the mainland where we have stayed. Palace resorts are top-tier; but then we stayed at PR for less than half their rates through an Internet special on bookit.com

Back
Top Bottom