Which countries steal most of diving tourism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to DAN, global diving decreased by more than 391 in 2009, but they don't break it down by tourists or local divers. PADI pegs tourism diving at 1,370 in the same period, nearly the same as in 2008 (1,385). If you add up the divings by country, the only real outlier is Panama, where diving increased by 14 and decreased by only 3. So while we have no incontrovertible proof, everyone pretty knows that Panama stole most of the tourism diving*, at least as of two years ago. They finally caved in a few months ago and gave back 6 or 7, but now everyone is fighting over who gets how many divings back.

*Iran claims it already has enough resources to manufacture three domestic divings and stockpile several times that many, while the DPRK tourism and propaganda ministry claims that Kim Jong Il personally stole no fewer than thirteen full divings on his first attempt. Obviously the UN won't include those in international scuba reports without support and sign-off from the ISEA, which has been denied access by both countries.

Feel free to PM me for sources and citations.

At this point I am more interested in who you are and where you go than how much you spend once you get there or how many people work as instructors because you go there. That would be useful too but I have not gotten to that part yet.

I'm Dr. Bill and I'm a dive-a-holic., I'll go anywhere they pay me to go! My dive travel has taken me to four of the continents so far and I plan to hit two more this year.

I prefer diving Asia and the South Pacific (for reasons mostly of biodiversity) but my most intense dive trips have been to Mexico and Central America.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom