which camera to buy or keep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewDiver123

Reaction score
I have a minolta maxxum 5 SLR camera and a minolta xt digital camera before I started to scuba diving. Now, I want to do some underwater photography.The thing is I don't know if it's better to get rid of my current caerma (maxxum 5) and to buy a whole new set of SLR digital camera (Nikon D70) + housing, or, just find a housing fit for maxxum 5 (don't know if there is one). Need your help!

Do you guys know if the kodak easyshare series have housings?

NewDiver123:
I have a minolta maxxum 5 SLR camera and a minolta xt digital camera before I started to scuba diving. Now, I want to do some underwater photography.The thing is I don't know if it's better to get rid of my current caerma (maxxum 5) and to buy a whole new set of SLR digital camera (Nikon D70) + housing, or, just find a housing fit for maxxum 5 (don't know if there is one). Need your help!

I'm new to diving also, and do a bit of photography (like profesionally and as a hobby).

So that D70 is going to run you 1K + lens. Now go look at some housings. They run over 1K as well, and many closer to 2K. Wait, you need a lens port.... $200. But wait, you need an UW flash ($500). OK now you need a tray, and some flash brackets.... Wait, your $3500 into this, so what do you need even more... insurance.
And you may have not taken one photo.. If money is no object than go for it, but based on your current setup I'm guessing this is not the case.

My point is that while I certainly also want to go with a full blown SLR w/housing and all the tricks, I don't think that I will be doing enough diving to really justify this... yet.... Also while I love photography, UW it's VERY distracting when as a newer diver, there is a lot of things to keep in mind, minor things like air, and where the heck am I.

So another solution is to get a capable Oly 5060, or Canon S60 (both under $500) and a housing made by Canon or Oly ($200). IMO the only downside to this setup is speed. Those camera's are SLOW.. Slow focus.... slow shooting....

However they DO take VERY good images. If you find you are really into the UW photography, then you can add a good strobe. IMO at that point, if you are shooting UW a lot, and want to take the next step, buy an SLR housing.

Keep in mind an SLR housing is a BIG commitment to not just a brand, but a model. If in 5 years you want to replace the OLY 5060 housing you are out next to nothing. In five years if the D70 is not around, or you want to upgrade, you are dumping $1500 in a housing which maybe worth at that point next to nothing at the rate DLSR's release, and replace it with another expensive housing.

Just some thoughts.

Ron

RonFrank:
I'm new to diving also, and do a bit of photography (like profesionally and as a hobby).

So that D70 is going to run you 1K + lens. Now go look at some housings. They run over 1K as well, and many closer to 2K. Wait, you need a lens port.... $200. But wait, you need an UW flash ($500). OK now you need a tray, and some flash brackets.... Wait, your $3500 into this, so what do you need even more... insurance.
And you may have not taken one photo.. If money is no object than go for it, but based on your current setup I'm guessing this is not the case.

My point is that while I certainly also want to go with a full blown SLR w/housing and all the tricks, I don't think that I will be doing enough diving to really justify this... yet.... Also while I love photography, UW it's VERY distracting when as a newer diver, there is a lot of things to keep in mind, minor things like air, and where the heck am I.

So another solution is to get a capable Oly 5060, or Canon S60 (both under $500) and a housing made by Canon or Oly ($200). IMO the only downside to this setup is speed. Those camera's are SLOW.. Slow focus.... slow shooting....

However they DO take VERY good images. If you find you are really into the UW photography, then you can add a good strobe. IMO at that point, if you are shooting UW a lot, and want to take the next step, buy an SLR housing.

Keep in mind an SLR housing is a BIG commitment to not just a brand, but a model. If in 5 years you want to replace the OLY 5060 housing you are out next to nothing. In five years if the D70 is not around, or you want to upgrade, you are dumping $1500 in a housing which maybe worth at that point next to nothing at the rate DLSR's release, and replace it with another expensive housing.

Just some thoughts.

Ron

Thank you providing such helpful information! It's really what I want to know. After looking around for Oly C5060, I feel it's just fit my requirement. Start to watch the deal .....

Back
Top Bottom