Which camera should i get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope I'm not hijacking , but oh well...guess I'll make it all about ME again :wink: I've been stalking this thread because I have pretty much the same question as Scotty, except you can throw the whole $2500 budget out the window!

Just to make it a little easier on you guys/gals (and btw THANKS for taking the time to share!) this is what I'm looking for and why:

I've never been much interested in taking on the burden of photography as I've always been lucky to have one of your kind along for the ride, and I've just mooched photos (I know, I know, but I've ALWAYS given credit!).

Anyway, times have changed, and I find I'd like to document some of my travels. I've been diving a long time, but I'm a lazy diver, maybe even a bit of an ADD diver. I like to go slow, look around and interact, but I do get distracted... (what a lovely coral formation, I should take a photo. Oh look! a pretty Gobi, I must swim over there and play... get the idea?) Buoyancy won't be the problem. Remembering the friggin camera will be.

I didn't understand hardly anything of what you guys were talking about, except the PAS. I'm thinking that probably sounds about my speed? I'm hoping that this type of setup will be simple to use and maintain, AND be under $500?

I live in Puget Sound. It's dark. So I need light. But I take a couple of warm water trips a year and I think that's where I'll do most of my photo taking.

I've found some used Sealife setups for sale, but how difficult are they to use? Are they really for beginners, or will I be overwhelmed?
How about the whole GoPro thing? I understand I'd need the aftermarket housing or lenses to adjust for underwater, but they also seem fairly simple and some of the stuff I've seen posted online looks good.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom