Which camera should i get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't really know anything about underwater cameras with the housing and strobes and all that. What is a good setup? I'm not really looking for a professional setup for $2500 but i dont want a setup that will be a waste of money. Just something that will take good pics and last a while. Thanks!

So is your budget $2500?

If so, then I would recommend either:

Panasonic Lumix LX-5 ($400), Nauticam Housing ($950), Nauticam tray/handle ($100), Nauticam Ball mount ($20), ULCS 5" arm, 8" YS arm, 2 clamps ($160), Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe ($430), optical sync cord ($90) = total $2150

Olympus XZ-1 ($410) Nauticam Housing ($950), Nauticam tray/handle ($100), Nauticam Ball mount ($20), ULCS 5" arm, 8" arm, 2 clamps ($160), Inon S2000 strobe ($470), optical sync cord ($90) = total $2200

Either system will grow nicely with additional strobe/lenses/etc.

I would recommend a budget of $500 of less for your first digital underwater camera and slave strobe. In general the cameras are better than the photographers skills require. Intova IC14 camera with housing and a ISS4000 strobe. Learn with these you can even add a second strobe and wet conversion lenses down the line. If you do outgrow the camera you'll then be debating SLR or not. Even if you should head that direction the strobes can still be used unless you require more power (always part of the quest)
Just like when shooting high and dry great photos can be taken with minimal camera investment if you learn how. Investing in high quality photo gear for underwater when you know little or nothing is an expensive waste. With underwater cameras it isn't a matter of if you'll flood a camera it is a matter of when!

Last edited:
I would suggest a Canon G12 or S95 in either a Canon OEM housing (200$) or a Fisheye or Patima housing (800-1000$)
1-2 INON D2000 strobes work flawless with the Canon G12/S95 are sturdy, powerful and "economical" both on ball joint aluminium arms.

Chris

32.gif

I currently use a Canon G10 and G12 in their respective Canon housings.I also have a single Sea & Sea strobe (YS27-DX which is now obsolete). I am very happy with the results from both cameras.

Having said that if I was to purchase a point-and-shoot camera today it would be the Olympus XZ-1 and the Olympus PT-050 housing. Both can be purchased on Amazon.con. Camera for $409.00 and housing for $254.89.

The PT-050 has a threaded lens port for wet-mount lenses. The Canon housings do not.

The XZ-1 has a larger sensor than the G10 and G12 as well as a 1.8 lens versus the 2.8 on the G10 and G12. Larger sensor should equate to better quality photos. 1.8 versus 2.8 lens should equate to better results in low light conditions.

A Sea & Sea or Inon strobe would be an excellent addition. Add the cost of a tray/arm.

As an Intova user I can tell you no one beats their warranty and service after the sale.

halemanō;5999947:
As a Canon and Oly user, I can not tell you anything about their warranty and service after the sale. :rofl3:

As A former Oly user I can say that the Fuji F series cameras exihibit not only better battery life but a wider color gamut than the Oly C series I've used and like the Oly and Canon I still know nothing about warranty or service. One thing I have noticed is similar level Fuji P&S cameras are nearly always available for aproximately 25% less than comparable Canon & Olympus offerings. :popcorn:

I don't really know anything about underwater cameras with the housing and strobes and all that. What is a good setup? I'm not really looking for a professional setup for $2500 but i dont want a setup that will be a waste of money. Just something that will take good pics and last a while. Thanks!

Well if you are not experienced with all that equipment, why start with stuff wich might be real tricky for a beginner...:depressed:

After some first shots with Ixus model, i bought some Fuji housing (used around 60.- $) and a F20 (new around 130,-$ and later a used F31)

You see less than 1/10 of your limit...

Are these shots so bad?

Well if you are not experienced with all that equipment, why start with stuff wich might be real tricky for a beginner...:depressed:

After some first shots with Ixus model, i bought some Fuji housing (used around 60.- $) and a F20 (new around 130,-$ and later a used F31)

You see less than 1/10 of your limit...

Are these shots so bad?

Because some people may not be experienced but know they have a real interest and don't want to purchase everything twice. A 2,500 dollar budjet is a good starting point but it will not completely outfit a Canon S95/FIX/Recsea, Typical:

Camera - 400
FIX/Recsea housing - 800
Inon strobe, D2000 - 640 (X2)
Wide angle lens - 500 to 900
Macro lens - 200 to 400
Tray, cables, misc. - 300

Or jump to the Nautica NEX and I think you could get the camera, basic port and housing for 2,500 and build into lenses, ports and trays as funds are available.

http://www.nauticam.com/product.asp?id=101

Currently, in the advanced P&S category, S, G series Canons, Oly XZ1 etc, the S series Canon when equipped with the FIX or Recsea housings is the most versatile as it can accommodate virtually any wide angle, macro lens available now or made in the past and use them to great advantage. This makes it, IMO, King of the Hill, it's unequaled flexibility. The camera is reasonably fast, the sensor is known to produce good results and the camera just works very well with excellent ergonomics when housed (FIX/Recsea) and with full access to all controls without button pushing (very minimal).

Unfortunately, the Oly XZ1 does not work as well with all of the accessory lenses available, the sensor is marginally larger by a hair and it is an equally responsive camera with some nice housings available. But, the lens issue is a killer for me, I cannot get past that, others may be able to, I cannot, disappointed - > me.

I suspect that next season there will be several new options including probably Nautica housings for the newest NEX and Oly Pen cameras which for the first time have a shutter response time equal to a dSLR--FAST! And there may be advanced P&S also with the new high speed auto focus systems as there are several manufacturers with similar new fast auto focus systems in the works. By then maybe your photo savings account will have grown a bit.

If you need it now I would go Canon S in a FIX or Recsea housing or a Sony NEX bare bones in the Nautica.

As to the sensor thing between different cameras, you know, unless you are going to publish photos, I am not impressed with the hoopla, for typical printing, web display, general show and tell, any of the cameras listed in this thread would do very well. Every now and then I get a wild thought to spend a month scanning in all of my old 35mm slides from my Nikonos and Ikelite housed Nikon adventures. Then I look through the slides, boxes of them, and I say to myself, I spent all that money (film and development) and this is all I have and frankly compared to my most casual results from the Canon S90, they s--k. Just have to say, either I have gotten way better (highly unlikely) or the Canon S90 is a far better camera (more likely) in that it is easier to use, the IQ is great, the photos bright and clear with good contrast. Shoot, review, shoot, download, brag, simple as that.

PC090425.jpg

P6050319.jpg

IMG_0492_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom