Which BP/Webbing setup to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetman-
A problem arises with the Halcyon if you want to do BOTH doubles and singles and buy only one backplate/wing system. Halcyon does not recommend using a single with their larger wings. They make the Pioneer wing specificaly for a single and you cannot use a double on it since it has a built in single tank adaptor. You have to choose one or the other. Most divers who use backplates dive almost exclusively doubles-that's why I wrote my title in quatation marks because for them there is no "limitation".

I dive primarily a single now but I foresee a time in the future when I want to dive doubles. Some divers do dive with a large wing but only use a single tank and they say they have no problem with it(Lost Yooper-"already a legend in the diving community"). But, it is not recommend by Halcyon and I would first give it a try to see if you like using a single tank with a large wing(minimum #55lb. lift).

I asked Halcyon about this problem and they said "With a large wing, greater than 45lbs. there is too much air shift and the arrangement of a single tank will make the setup unstable. We do not recommend the use of such a large wing with a single tank. We recommend the Pioneer wing if you plan on diving singles." Again, some divers do dive with a large wing on a single and have no complaints.

I thought that a bungeed wing would prevent some of this air shift and this spring I will find out. I plan on buying a Fred T. backplate setup and getting a DiveRite Rec wing(51lbs lift). The wing has a "gusset control system"(pull-cord bungee) and with that I am betting that I will be able to "size" my wing for either a single or a double and prevent the air shift that Halcyon speaks of. In case it doesn't work I am prepared to shell out the extra money for a small wing and a larger wing. But buying is half the fun of diving.

Mike

Originally posted by buff

I dive primarily a single now but I foresee a time in the future when I want to dive doubles.

I plan on buying a Fred T. backplate setup and getting a DiveRite Rec wing(51lbs lift). The wing has a "gusset control system"(pull-cord bungee) and with that I am betting that I will be able to "size" my wing for either a single or a double and prevent the air shift that Halcyon speaks of. In case it doesn't work I am prepared to shell out the extra money for a small wing and a larger wing. But buying is half the fun of diving.

Mike

Hey Mike,
Let me know how this works out if you get to it before I do. There may be doubles in my future too. I was thinking about a Fred T backplate and harness. I was going to put my Rec wing on it, and then get a Travel wing for my Transpac II.
I don't notice much air shift with the Rec wing and singles on my Transpac. Tightening down the bungee does help. Acording to the Dive-Rite Website the Rec wing is for singles and doubles.

Yes, I have used my 55lb wing for singles quite a bit. It is not optimal, but it works. I would take my 55lb Halcyon wing over any bungied wing for singles as well (I've had that Rec wing :rolleyes: :)). That said, I've always had a Pioneer wing on my list of stuff to buy, but I don't use a single all that often, so I don't worry about it.

Mike

PS. Like always, you have to wonder what the real motives are behind a shop's or manufacturer's advice :wink:.

Do we need to have a club on former Ranger owners that went with backplates?

I am not sure how someone made the jump from taking Halcyon's advice on gear config and ending up with a bungie wing....

Might need to run that one by them again.

2 things I have learned in my short scuba career, be very careful when you are trying to save money and do not try to get bad gear and create problems that need not exist. We then come up with even worse ideas on how to counteract the original one.

This is not to disparage the bungie wings, I have never used them so can't say much. I have used the Halcyon stuff and love it.

On the pocket, I just put the dir setup on my wetsuit and have to say once again that the style comes through. I thought they would be bulky and uncomfortable.

I was of course using above water theory for underwater reality. The pockets work great, put a bellows on the left and a flat on the right. Even stuffed with a large alert marker, spool, and snips, I could not tell the pocket was even there.

I would recommend glued on thigh pockets wholeheartedly.

I tried the webbing pocket on the right side but did not really make sense as if one gets the cannister light you are changing the gear around which seemed to go against the dir philosophy. You can get a 2 pocket set from 5th dimension for 60 or so and is much cheaper than the side pocket by halcyon. Plus the side pocket has a zipper, the thigh pockets velcro and much easier to use.

The Halcyon site has a tip on how to glue the pockets on.

Tommy

Originally posted by Tavi

Hey Mike,
Let me know how this works out if you get to it before I do. There may be doubles in my future too. I was thinking about a Fred T backplate and harness. I was going to put my Rec wing on it, and then get a Travel wing for my Transpac II.
I don't notice much air shift with the Rec wing and singles on my Transpac. Tightening down the bungee does help. Acording to the Dive-Rite Website the Rec wing is for singles and doubles.

Hey Tavi !!

That works quite well as i have done what you are thinking..
The travel wing is so sweeeet!! it's like foating through space:D

And your rec wing is fine for doubles. No maniac out there needs more than 65lbs of lift i run Heiser 104's and two stage bottles and no problems!

Good luck

NINJA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom