Which BP/Webbing setup to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be jumping into the land of backplates and webbing this year (my first year i spent witht a Ranger with Tech straps.) After a year of diving. my main thought in this regard is that I can't stand the bulkyness of regular BCs. Theres just TOO MUCH out front. I've always felt like things were too bulky. Anyhoo, I've been with several divers who are BP/webbing users and am always jealous at how simple thing look.

So, any thoughts on which to go with? I see OMS has some slightly fancied up BP/Webbing combos - anyone use these and like them? (they dont appear TOO bulky).

I want to be able to use my pockets, not just dream about it - the Ranger is absolutely useless there with 5 mil gloves on. I dont want a cumberbund.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Go with a simple BP and wing. OMS is ok, but you don't need the IQ pack or pockets on the BC. Put the pockets on your wetsuit or drysuit. Look at BPs from Fred T. (on this board), Highland-Millworks, EE, AUL, Dive Rite. They are all pretty much the same.

Eric

I have the complete Halcyon setup with the SS plate (bought it three years ago), and I REALLY like it. However, if I had to do it again (which I am for my wife), I would go with a Fred T plate, STA, and harness package with a Halcyon wing. You can save yourself some money going this route, and it only takes an hour or two to assemble it all.

Good choice :wink:.

Mike

PS. Whatever you do, don't get a bungied wing or any other gimmicks. Just keep things very simple.

I own the OMS IQ-Pack System. For those who have not seen one, check out this link on OMS's website.

Since I'm only on singles, I am also using the 45# bungeed wing.

(For the naysayers on bugeed wings, we have already beaten that horse to death in a previous thread. So please don't spin that tangent on this thread).

I too own and dive the Ranger BC. And while I didn't have any trouble with 5 mil gloves, I can provide you with some contrast between the two systems.

Set-up on the tank -- Since last weekend was my first time to use the OMS IQ, I had more trouble than expected with the initial setup since I was not using an STA (single tank adapter) to hold the wing in place with the harness. To make a long story short, the tip I have for you is if you are not using bolts to mount the wing to the IQ harness, then use zip ties through the bolt holes.

Fit of the harness -- IMO, the harness system of the IQ fits much nicer than the Ranger's. I too didn't like the velcro cumberbunds and the simplicity of a weight belt like buckle was a very nice change. The placement/routing of the harness webbing on the IQ made it much easier to slip into and get buckled in. And once buckled in, the fit with the Mobby's drysuit I was using was a big improvement over the Ranger.

Once in the the water, everthing stayed put very nicely (I always had to fiddle with the fit of my Ranger) and comfort increased.

Inflation/deflation of wing -- the OMS power inflator had a much better response over the Ranger. I was able to put in very short squirts of air with the OMS. Plus the button on the OMS has a longer travel distance allowing you more flexibility in flow rate.

Underwater Trim -- When at depth in the quarry, I found a platform where I could hook my heels under the bar to assist in remaining stationary and did what were essentially fin pivots. In My Ranger, I had a heck of a time on its first few dives getting it trimmed out so that I did not experience a roll while hovering horizontally. With the OMS IQ I was perfectly level the entire time with no extra effort and on the first dive.

OVERALL IMPRESSION OF THE IQ: I like it very much and am a very happy diver. For those who desire this type of system, I say that the OMS IQ is definitely worth a look. I just wish that I had saved money by making the IQ my first BC purchase instead of the Ranger.

A plate is a plate for the most part.
Material is the difference.
If you dive dry in cold water, then a stainless plate.
If you dive wet in freshwater, an ABS plate
If you dive dry in freshwater, an aluminum or ABS.
This is all with doubles, Not real sure about singles

For harness, If you've got access to someone who makes their own out of webbing, imitate them. If not, Halcyon sells one pre-made. It's more than you need to pay, but without a reference, it would probably be the best bet.
Wing is up to the individual. I use Halcyon and Dive Rite wings. I haven't had any serious problems with either.
Cheers

Thanks for the info. I've been leaning towards the Halcyon stuff myself for no other reason than i think it will be easier to find all in the same place.

Late last year, I was originally was looking at the OMS rig with the bungied wing, but i still even want simpler than that.

I've been reading that DIR fundamentals book that i ordered a couple weeks ago and it certainly does seem like theres some thought put into that stuff. Just wish i payed a bit more attention to it last year in my first round of purchases. Oh well, i'll have some decent backup stuff i guess.

I can't wait to streamline everything. My primary dive partner is doing the same thing as well.

Any thoughts on the best thigh pockets to use with these rigs? Or is that even considered part of the Webbing/BC? My assumption is at least the upper portion will be connected to the webbing waist band.

Steve

I believe you can buy a pocket that fits onto the waist strap which would go on the right side. This should work OK if you don't have a canister light (which would go there).

Mike

Originally posted by wetman
My assumption is at least the upper portion will be connected to the webbing waist band.

Steve,

Dive-Rite makes a pocket that attaches to the waist webbing at the top, while the bottom strap wraps around your thigh. Looks like it keeps the pocket itself off of your waist and on your leg. I think it costs about $25.

http://www.diverite.com/products/mbs/thigh.htm

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to make something like this yourself for cheaper. Any ideas?

Chris

I have a thigh pocket on my drysuit and i just love it - its the only functional pocket i have. Its on the right and i think would be out of the way of a canister light in its current position. Not sure if i'd need another but trying to think ahead - i love the idea of the lift bag under the backplate that halcyon has so that might eliminate the need for one - i currently keep a mesh bag in that thigh pocket for collecting items and a backup light in my left BC pocket (which i cant get anyways so is relatively useless there i guess) Given the DIR approach of the backup lights on the shoulder straps, i'm not sure i'd need it at all.

For those of you who've read that DIR book i'm talking about, are there do you guys have anything further to add to simplifying this stuff? That DIR book seems pretty thorough.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom