Which BP/W or Streamlined BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharpDog

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to a BP/W system not only for streamlining but to reduce excess material , weight and complexity.I am looking at BP/W setups from several manufacturers. I can see similar packages from different manufacturers vary by as much as 75% ($400 to $700). I am thinking the quality / features are not so different as to justify the price difference.

I would like a fairly streamlined package 30# to 35# lift with a functional and durable harness, easily ditchable weight system and durable wing (E.G double bladder, extra thick material, etc.) .

I am looking to a BP/W system not only for streamlining but to reduce excess material , weight and complexity. I am also including a few sample streamlined BC's in the poll for comparison. Please comment on the comparison between a streamlined BC and a BP/W setup.

Bungied or not bungied ?

Durability and trimable bouyancy are must haves. Only single tank functionality is required but an upgrade path to double tanks would be strongly desired. Extra things like thigh pockets or whatever are nice but not required.

Which system(s) are preferred?

www.deepseasupply.com
Technical SCUBA Diving Equipment for Advanced, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc.
www.halcyon.net
OMS Technical Dive Equipment http://www.OMSdive.com
www.oxycheq.com
Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer

I'm a fan of both the OMS and Deep Sea Supply products. I would suggest you narrow it down to a non-banded single tank wing and backplate (you can get a wing that will work for both singles and doubles, but it may not work well for either of them). If you want to dive doubles later on, then you will need to buy a new wing, but you can use everything else in your kit.

I would also avoid the double bladder wing. If you are trying to simplify and streamline your kit, a double bladder wing is the wrong choice. I'm not DIR, so I do believe that large, banded, dual bladder wings have their place, but very few divers will ever need this type of wing.

What size wing you need will depend on the rest of your kit. If you are interested in the OMS, PM me and I will help you decide what components would be best. If you are interested in the DSS setups, I would recommend that you PM Tobin. He will be more than happy to help you choose the right setup in his gear.

I have a rig from Golem Gear, Inc. and am very happy with it. I am diving the #35 lb stainless steel combo rig that he has on sale for $390

Good luck on which ever rig you select!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom