Which BC should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After zero dives you are now convinced you need a BP and that you are going to dive caves? Maybe you should get certified first to see if you like diving?

I would get a used Zeagle Ranger on the cheap (around $125-$250 used). If your still diving after 100 dives you will have a better idea of what you want. Halcyon is overpriced. I guess it costs big bucks to put a blue H on the harness!
04.gif
I think many Halcyon and DSS bp/wing system wearers would say that when they have tried the Zeagle Stilettos they felt sloppy....I still have a Zeagle Sandra bought because of some awesome reviews from other divers.she used it twice, decided it was sloppy, and went back to the Halcyon. When she got Bob Sherwood to tweak the custom fit of the Halcyon, that was when she fell in love with the Halcyon.
Durability is cool also...my single tank 18 pound wing and harness from 1997or 98 ( whatever year one for H was), is just as good today as it was back then.
There are a ton of BP/W manufactures so do more homework. Asking the BP/W Zealots on SB what is best is a predictable game. DiveRite, OxyCheq, OMS, DSS, ect. all makes good stuff but for Warm Water diving its hard to beat a Zeagle BC. I use Zeagle Stiletto for warm water, and a BP/W for cold water. The reason for the BP/W is 12lbs of weight on my back/off my belt. It has more to do with weight distribution than anything else. If you are diving warm water than a BP/W is pointless. Wearing a weight belt is a PITA (which is required with a BP/W).
Don't know where you get this. I never use a weight belt in warm water with my 3 mil wet suit. For that matter, for cold water and dry suit, I use a heavy steel 100, and don't need a weight belt.. People that do need weight, get some from a can light ( awesome buddy diving tool you might ask us about) and if more is needed, there is an integrated weight system.

As to the Zealot comments....there are Zealots on both sides as is plain to see. Anyone claiming they use both, has another agenda...some maybe because they have to for work..... but it should not be for actual function. I'm sure plenty of people see me as a Zealot, but I have used many more BC systems for many more years than most of the divers on scubaboard will ever get close to...diving heavily since 1972.
I loved diving with only a harness in 72 through 81.....then all of a sudden, boats began having a fit if you did not have a BC or horsecollar. They sucked. They slowed you down, and were un-needed in warm water diving. Diving Florida and the Caribbean, I would use a skin year round, and had zero need for buoyancy compensation. I had to use Scuba pro Stab jackets for years, and used Cressi's slim line BC whatever it was called( as close to no BC as I could find, and the AT Pac, in through the nineties half a dozen others including Zeagle. I always hated bc's, every one of them, until Robert Carmichael let me try a Halcyon with 18 pound wing....it was as good feeling as the early harness in 72, but with perks :)

DEMO the gear if there is any possible way you can...easy to do with a bc like a zeagle, as there is nothing to adjusting it---with the adjustment potential it has, limited by the sloppiness of the system. DEMO of the Halcyon or DSS or Oxycheck will be a bit harder, as a real harness needs to be adjusted by someone that really knows how to....Don;t expect a Zeagle shop to have any clue how to custom fit a Halcyon GUE style :)

I have a Zeagle and love it.

However, since going to a BP/W, I don't use it anymore.

I feel more comfortable and in control with a BP/W. Now, I have a cold water BP/W and a warm water BP/W.

I noted the vast majority of DMs and staff divers at the resorts I dove in the Philippines were diving BP/Ws. They're great for warm water diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of malaysia ( singer's neighbor ) ugh.

Whats that ugh mean? Cross border relations are at stake here neighbour! Hehehe.

---------- Post Merged at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 AM ----------

After zero dives you are now convinced you need a BP and that you are going to dive caves? Maybe you should get certified first to see if you like diving?

I would get a used Zeagle Ranger on the cheap (around $125-$250 used). If your still diving after 100 dives you will have a better idea of what you want. Halcyon is overpriced. I guess it costs big bucks to put a blue H on the harness!
04.gif

There are a ton of BP/W manufactures so do more homework. Asking the BP/W Zealots on SB what is best is a predictable game. DiveRite, OxyCheq, OMS, DSS, ect. all makes good stuff but for Warm Water diving its hard to beat a Zeagle BC. I use Zeagle Stiletto for warm water, and a BP/W for cold water. The reason for the BP/W is 12lbs of weight on my back/off my belt. It has more to do with weight distribution than anything else. If you are diving warm water than a BP/W is pointless. Wearing a weight belt is a PITA (which is required with a BP/W). I like the back inflate Zeagle. They also do made in the USA regs.

Well said! Personally I use a Zeagle Scout which is perfect for tropical warm water diving. Its light, streamlined, back inflate and best of all CHEAP. Most of my friends are using bp/w and they sing its praises, I might one day move into that but for now my zeagle is still doing its job!

I use Zeagle Stiletto for warm water, and a BP/W for cold water. The reason for the BP/W is 12lbs of weight on my back/off my belt. It has more to do with weight distribution than anything else. If you are diving warm water than a BP/W is pointless. Wearing a weight belt is a PITA (which is required with a BP/W). I like the back inflate Zeagle. They also do made in the USA regs.
Huh?

I have hundreds of warm water Caribbean dives in a 5 lb steel plate, which almost perfectly offsets the buoyancy of a near-empty AL80. Then it's just a matter of adding a small weight belt or weights in harness pockets to offset whatever exposure suit I'm wearing.

I can't imagine using a 12 lb. plate for warm water diving. Maybe that's your problem?

I hate weight belts. I was forced to use them twice. I will never wear one again.

I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of malaysia ( singer's neighbor ) ugh.

Whats that ugh mean? Cross border relations are at stake here neighbour! Hehehe.

---------- Post Merged at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Well said! Personally I use a Zeagle Scout which is perfect for tropical warm water diving. Its light, streamlined, back inflate and best of all CHEAP. Most of my friends are using bp/w and they sing its praises, I might one day move into that but for now my zeagle is still doing its job!

Chill chill! We're still buying and selling water! Hehehe. What I meant was, in time I'd want to go elsewhere and have to fly with all the gear is going to be expensive. Thinking through all possibilities before I take a plunge.

Currently looking at OMS. Can't remember the model off my head but it's a BP/W system with 30pounds lift. Not exactly sure why I'd need so much lift but was recommended by a friend (DM certified). Checked the prices and not surprisingly enough it's cheaper to get it from US then it is here. I guess I'll do more dives and rent in the mean time.

DD

DD

Main reason I ended up with the zeagle express tech was cause I live in Singapore and that means travelling to dive. So opted to not have an aluminum backplate. There's quite a few brands doing lightweight travel backplates these days and might be an option for you. If u don't care about the extra weight then grab an aluminum one. Nothing against back inflate zeagles, etc, but sounds like you're already leaning this way so that's my $0.02

More impirtanlty, hurry up and get certified so we can dive :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

not surprisingly enough it's cheaper to get it from US then it is here.

By the time you have your gear you mind find that not to be so true. By the tiem taxes and duties are put on everything, you may find it is the same or more expensive

Chill chill! We're still buying and selling water! Hehehe. What I meant was, in time I'd want to go elsewhere and have to fly with all the gear is going to be expensive. Thinking through all possibilities before I take a plunge.

Currently looking at OMS. Can't remember the model off my head but it's a BP/W system with 30pounds lift. Not exactly sure why I'd need so much lift but was recommended by a friend (DM certified). Checked the prices and not surprisingly enough it's cheaper to get it from US then it is here. I guess I'll do more dives and rent in the mean t

DD

Good idea to rent first if still unsure but if you like the look of the BP/W then just pull the trigger dude. Its all about style man and everyoone gets the gear that is most stylish to them. If u like the look of halcyon, the cheaper option is frog which looks exactly like halcyon but at a fraction of the cost I was informed they are both manufactured by the same company..

Currently in Malaysia there is a huge no of divers leaning towards oxycheq I think its got something to do with their kickass ad which you can see here . Although how often u will meet a mad razor wielding lunatic underwater is still undetermined. They also come in loads of colours which i know appeals to the funkier divers and the girls cos they have pink backplates and donuts!

check out the gear in my sig to get an idea of what I have and do. should help determine your own needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom