Which Battery is the Correct One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typically reverse polarity protection is something built into the device, not the battery. The battery can’t know which way it is put in. Some Li-Ion batteries do have over-current protection against shorting or excessive drain.

There is some confusion about this battery form factor, two-thirds AA (14.2 mm X 28.7 mm), because different chemistries are typically available in the same size, and some, as noted, put the “button” on the negative end. Li-Ion with 3.7 volts, and lithium at 3 volts are both common, as are 3.7V rechargeable batteries in this size. I’ve seen a thread on SB where someone used a 3.7 V battery in one of these transmitters successfully, but as far as I can tell from photos the OEM replacement is a Varta 3V lithium (i.e. a good name brand, and readily available). While you would probably get away with the higher voltage, I would definitely stick with the 3V to be sure. There is probably a reason they specify that voltage.

A CR2 is very slightly larger in diameter and slightly shorter.

It think it is very unlikely that any standard size cylindrical batteries (unlike prismatic rechargeables) are being custom made for dive equipment. That would kind of defeat the benefit of using a mass produced size. But you can certainly buy off brand batteries that don’t deliver the claimed capacity or fail in other ways. At least stick with a good manufacturer.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom