Which Bahama Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Which one has the best reefs, walls, marine life? I have been to Grand Bahama. I thought it was so-so. I wouldn't mind trying another Island next time.

I've been on a live aboard that was just off of Conception, San Salvador & Long Island (Exumas). Pretty decent diving there. I may actually do a land based diving trip with my LDS to San Salvador later this year to see the Hammerheads again.

THank you, I am checking San Salvador out. Maybe a June trip.

I spent a week on a liveaboard off Bimini last year, and I find that the reefs are suffering because of all the building going on there now. It's not bad diving, but I don't plan to spend money to go back there unless I am vacationing for other reasons than diving.

Just back from a week in San Salvador. Great walls, amazing viz even though stirred up a tad from Olga, saw plenty of turtles, sharks and rays. Pretty much nothing to do on the island. No cruise ships. Choices are ClubMed where the food is great and you have other activities if you choose, but the diving is more restrictive or Riding Rock which is a dive resort.

Would offer two choices where you CAN'T go wrong. For shore based diving, Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador offers great walls, lots of marine life, and a good dive staff to make sure you get what you come for. Only negative is making travel arrangements as Bahamas Air is often unreliable and flights from Ft Lauderdale/Miami are expensive.
Other option is a live aboard with the Aqua Cat being the premier selection. They go out of Nassau and do the Exuma Cays. Great boat, excellent chef, and staff that caters to the divers. Good sites, lots of marine animals of all sizes, and they let you dive your own way.

When I was at San Salvador, I was on Explorer Ventures' Caribbean Explorer I for a week. We saw San Salvador, Conception Island & Long Island. The CEXI sets out from Georgetown, Exuma. The CEXI is an older boat, but in good shape. The crew- fantastic! Georgetown is really nothing to write home about, kind of a hole in the wall place with a couple of very nice resorts. You can do San Salvador either by live aboard or by the resorts there. I've heard good things about Riding Rock. I wanted to go back there on a trip with my LDS, but can not due to work schedule:(. I do believe they are going to do Riding Rock.

Just got back from San Salvador, Riding Rock resort. Exceptional diving!
Plenty of unspoiled reef, Coral, Saw Black tips, ridge backs, turtles (5 in one dive), sting rays coming out of your ears......Great!
Only one wreck in the area, we didn't dive there. It didn't sound like much anyway. Not compared with Vicky's reef. An exceptional example of the 'drop off' that starts about 50' and is shear or even under cut down to about 120': Twin Caves, two remarkable swim through. Tight in places but all the more rewarding for that: Great cut, take the long stride into 200' visibility water, drop to 60' to the coral, keep dropping into a almost obscured hole in the sea floor and follow the chasm along steadily gaining depth to 140' where you burst out the face of the drop off. WOW!
And Cathedral, an undersea sand beach that starts about 50' and drops slowly away to the top of the drop off (140') and has huge monolithic coral heads about 50' apart each with it's own little world going on. The sand is littered with sting rays and my goggles are filling up with tears of joy!
Really good fun.
Work wanted me back for the 27th so I left the other guy's there to finish the week off. I got a voice mail this morning saying the first dive yesterday (me on the plane) they saw a family of pilot whales on the way out to a swim through and upon exiting bumped into three hammerheads. Second dive they ONLY saw FIVE hammerheads?!?!?
The facial expression I’m pulling as I type resembles the GRINCH!!!
Simple. I'll go back tonight...........................
PM me if any one wants any details of Riding Rock. A thoroughly professional and safe experience.
Or find them on Riding Rock Inn Scuba Resort and Marina in San Salvador, Bahamas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom