Which backplate and wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robwho??

Registered
Reaction score
To finish off my full dive kit all I have left to get is a BCD. After some research, I've decided to go the backplate and wing route for simplicity, customization, and upgrading or changing as my experience and training progress. I would also like to do some tech/deep diving down the road. With that being said.....Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer in regards to which brand, style, and/or design of backplate and wing to go with? Aluminum vs Steel? Webbing vs padded? Lift amount? I've been looking at OMS, Xdeep, Dolphin Tech, DGX to name a few. For the time being I'll be diving single tank, but want a system I can upgrade to doubles with later on. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Guess we need to know first what kind of diving you do and your exposure protection. Any travel?

Guess we need to know first what kind of diving you do and your exposure protection. Any travel?
At the moment just recreational diving in Northern California. I wear an 8mil semi-dry, but do like to travel to warm water locations a few times a year.

Sounds like you are doing cold water diving. You will want a wing with at least 30-35 lbs of lift and probably a steel backplate (allthough that is not a requirement, AL works just fine as well) if you are diving single tanks (for the couple of additional lbs). If your goal is to go into technical diving some day stay with a single piece continuous harness. If you move to doubles and tech diving you are going to end up getting a new wing with 45-60 lbs of lift; there just are not good options for a wing that will move from singles to doubles.

Take a look at this webpage from DGX, about any of these will work fine (the DGX house brand, Dive rite, OMS etc).

Have heard good things about the Dive Right In Scuba wing as well:

As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, I tried to negotiate with myself some kind of do-it-all solution for drysuit diving up here but also for travel diving. I finally just gave up because every time I thought of something that would work good in one scenario it was a negative in the other scenario.

For example, many people use heavy SS back plates because they add evenly distributed weight between you and your wing, thus lessoning the weight needed elsewhere. But when you do that, you have to account for taking a steel plate on travel. In my case, with my build, I may be negatively buoyant with it, in warm water, and a rash guard.

That's just one example I cam across but there are others. And when you try to find a compromise in features for both scenarios, it seems what you have isn't really idea for either. I got a Transpac XT and Travel XT wing for travel, and I am spec'ing out something for drysuit diving. Right now, I am thinking about a Transplate XT with a 6mm SS plate and Voyager XT wing.

Good luck,
Rob

You might look at the Apeks WTX harness. It isn't a full-blown backplate and wing, but it is very adjustable and user friendly. I use it with an aluminum plate and STA with a 30lb wing and it is perfect for warm water. Substitute the SS plate for colder water or easily switch the wing and it will be adequate when I move to twinsets in the spring.

I would just get the DGX s/s backplate package with the Hog harness and the 30 lb singles wing.
You can use that here in California which sounds like most of your diving. If you plan a plane trip to warm water then get an aluminum plate and just use the 30 wing, it will be fine. Those wings are pretty compact.

Call DGX to see if they can offer extra discount for an additional back plate on top of the package.
SS plate for cold water and Al plate for warm water.
30lbs(DGX) or 32lbs(OMS).

Back
Top Bottom