Which Atomic 1st Stage Do I Have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you have either an early B1 or or even earlier Ti2 first stage. How do we know that? There is a LP turret and the rubber trim ring around the middle of the first stage has square holes. Later version have round holes. How do we know that you have the older sharp piston. The rubber trim piece around the top is a doughnut. Once updated to the jet seat the replacement cap that fits completely over the top.

Here are service kits and the piston upgrade: Atomic Service Kits

All the posts upstream are spot on. Especially the one by Frank (Wookie) on the tools needed to make the servicing easy-peasy. Looking at the reg I see some corrosion. Which means it needs an ultrasonic bath and a complete rebuild.

I am about to rebuild a couple of the T1x regs. If you want an Atomic reg set IMHO the T1x is such a nice reg. These will be up for sale on da board soon enough.

Don’t think it’s a T, all the T stages were sealed IIRC.
Not T1 or T2, they weren't factory sealed until T2i. I had a large number of them, and still dive my T1 (that is upgraded to sealed).

Not a T. That's chrome.
Screenshot_20210709-154004_Chrome.jpg
$160 min. for service kit and upgraded piston & trim and labor.

Like I said, I can buy it from you or trade you a Scubapro MK-20 upgraded to MK-25 spec with the newest piston. All cleaned, lubed and ready to rock. I have the atomic tools and piston to upgrade one.

PM me if interested.

Don’t think it’s a T, all the T stages were sealed.
Not a T. That's chrome.

Reread my post as I did not say the first stage was titanium said it was an "earlier Ti2 first stage." The Ti2 does NOT reference the first stage but the second stage. Also note the "i" as in Ti2 vs T2 with no "i."

The "Ti" labeling is no different than the Z labeling which references the inlet tube material.

Some Atomic history (to the best of my knowledge). The first Atomic reg was a chrome plated brass first stage. The second stage had a titanium inlet tube and the second stage cover was labeled "Ti2' for titanium "Ti" second "2" stage. Later Atomic made the first titanium first stage. The second stage was the same titanium second stage with the same cover labeled "Ti2." That is one could a have Ti2 reg with either a chrome plated brass or titanium first stage. Neither were sealed.

Later Atomic relabeled the two regs. The Ti2 with the chrome plated brass first stage became the B1 (B for brass). Whereas the Ti2 with the titanium first stage became the T1 (T for titanium, again note the lack of the "i"). Again neither were sealed.

As such, and as I wrote the regulator is either an early B1 or even earlier Ti2 first stage.

For completeness the covers labels with the most recent version:
  • T3 – Titanium first stage
  • ST1 – Stainless Steel first stage /Titanium second stage
  • M1 – Monel piston
  • B2 – Brass first stage
  • Z3 – Zirconium inlet tube
  • Ti2 - Titanium inlet tube

Not T1 or T2, they weren't factory sealed until T2i. I had a large number of them, and still dive my T1 (that is upgraded to sealed).

Frank, The factory seal came with the T2x (you wrote T2i). Just being pedantic given the confusion.

Frank, The factory seal came with the T2x (you wrote T2i). Being pedantic given the confusion.
I knew what I wrote didn’t look right, but I couldn’t figure out why.

thanks

Wow, @Scared Silly ! Thanks for the history!
Never knew why they picked Ti2, but now I do! :)

No problem, do not take what I wrote as definitive. I base it off seeing multiple Ti2 second stages on both titanium and brass first stages which seem to predate the T1 and B1. I could be totally wrong and the Ti2 were just replacement covers :). Some trivia, the founders of AA were engineers at ScubaPro. They left when SP would not let them build a titanium regulator and started AA.

If you are interested in selling it, I might be interested in buying it.
Sorry, once I cleaned it and it came back just fine (I'll deal with any upgrades and rebuilds later), perhaps a grain of sand had lodged in the works (???), I'm going to stick with it for a while. It's a super-smooth regulator, much like my Apeks regs, and it's DIN to boot. It's a keeper..

Back
Top Bottom