Which agency is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK now I see what you mean. Thanx O-Ring. Where can i find a cave to dive in New Yrok City? LOL

taat2d once bubbled...
OK now I see what you mean. Thanx O-Ring. Where can i find a cave to dive in New Yrok City? LOL
Dude, I have the same problem...I am not that far away from you (Washington, D.C.) and I am taking GUE Cave 1 in July. I do, however, dive a lot of wrecks off VA Beach and North Carolina. I plan to use most of the skills there and take an occasional trip down to FL or Mexico and check out the caves. I am looking forward to checking out some of your wrecks this summer too...we want to do the San Diego and maybe the Oregon or the Stolt Dagali if we can make it up that way..

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get addicted to cave diving...that is a LOT farther for me to travel than VA Beach or NC.. :D

O-Ring Being fairly new to diving I haven't been to too many wrecks yet. I am however looking forward to diving the San Diego this year. I got a few buddies with years of diving experience of those wrecks you mention. Let me know when you're thinking of coming to New York maybe we could all get together and do a few dives. I can get you boat info too if you like. PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Joey

taat2d once bubbled...
O-Ring Being fairly new to diving I haven't been to too many wrecks yet. I am however looking forward to diving the San Diego this year. I got a few buddies with years of diving experience of those wrecks you mention. Let me know when you're thinking of coming to New York maybe we could all get together and do a few dives. I can get you boat info too if you like. PM me and I'll give you my email address.
Joey

Joey: Right off the bat I wanna say I teach a wreck penetration course in the Great Lakes, so take what I say with that knowledge in mind.

For wreck divers who wanted to "know more" about wreck penetration and how to do it safely, cave training was the only option for many, many years... still is in many cases... and I would recommend it as an option... Jeez, I would highly recommend it. However, there are some major differences... the roof of a cave is not full of ******* electrical wire and rotten wood waiting to fall on your head; and generally speaking cave diving does not entail climbing a couple of hundred pounds of gear back onto a moving boat. Also, many cave instructors don't know how to tie a decent knot!

There are several instructors around now who have a background in cave diving -- and may even teach it -- but who are primarily wreck divers. They borrow many of the same techniques but adapt or augment them for application in cold, dark, moving water and the generally unfriendly environment of a wreck.

If you can hook up with someone in your area who puts on this type of course, you may get some added benefit. One of the best at combining the two techniques and someone who was well-known in the wreck community in your area was Steve Berman. Unfortunately Steve died last year.

That's a bum note to end on, so I'll say this... what you need is not something you will find from any of the major sport agencies... you need to hook up with someone teaching a bona-fide wreck pentration course and that means one of the technical agencies... once you've found a few instructors who look promising, ask them what their courses will teach you. Ask about what you can expect. Ask how tough it's gonna be... you need to be challenged, but you also need to challenge them.

DD=-)

Norwaydiver

Good course, but Joel Silverstein…no thanks!

I have looked into the NAUI wreck course. They offer a technical wreck penetration course that seems pretty good.

Has anyone taken this class?

Back
Top Bottom