Where's your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always good to carry a slate so you can write things like "You idiot...!" You remember what brand computer it was? As TS explained, some are stricter than others - which I have seen backfire as the users may then not take them seriously. I have encountered many divers who just do not understand their computers, too.
At that point, he just swam off, leaving the tank we had brought for him, so my wife brought it up with her.
How lame. Retrieving a tank & reg for him, both of you baby sitting him for 24 minutes, and he stiffs you. Maybe you should have asked for his credit card before going for the tank? :silly:

Third dive of the day, went to 137, abandoned by buddy - accident looking for a place.

Last edited:
I took the regulator back to the diver and my wife stayed with him until he cleared his deco time. At that point, he just swam off, leaving the tank we had brought for him, so my wife brought it up with her.

I'm guessing he was just highly embarrassed by the whole situation and wanted to swim off, so you'd not recognize him on the surface.

Still doesn't take away from the annoyance factor that you may have saved his life, or at least a case of DCS.

...I came across a diver laying on the bottom in about 12" of water...

Maybe he needs a little education regarding deco depth, too.... His tanks must have sticking out of the water!

Maybe he needs a little education regarding deco depth, too.... His tanks must have sticking out of the water!
You think his puter gave him a 10 ft ceiling?

I think the OP had a typo. In one sentence he reported 12" and a few later 12'. It would seem plausible that the latter is true.

DandyDon had it right. Get his CC before going for a tank. :wink:

I was there that week and spoke to him but didn't know about the buddy issue.

Seems he had his gear lost on the plane so was using another computer and didn't fully understand the deco indications. Apparently it was giving him something like 3 mins at 30' which he did. It then it gave him something like 30 mins at 12' - which he wasn't prepared for.

There's a lesson here. Be familiar with your computer, read the instructions before diving, especially if you're likely to go into deco. Then check tables before a dive. An air integrated would have been going crazy with RBT warning.

There's a sweet little open boat wreck just off the end of that line with the bow at 135' You can't read the plaque any more but its a good safe place to start testing your narc limits.

Yeah, I carry my computers in my roll-on and make sure I know what they are indicating. :thumb:

I checked my two Oceanic VT3's in my luggage once. When I was unpacking at our destination I noticed that the computers both read a very high altitude. I do not recall exactly what it was but it was in the area of 14,000 feet and I was standing at sea level.

I was not diving for several days and knew it would adjust to the lower altitude shortly. For more reason then mentioned above, I always carry my computers on with me now as to not get erroneous altitude readings. I am not knowledgeable about how planes are pressurized but would make the assumption that the baggage compartment is not as pressurized as the passenger compartment.

PS: TSA double checked me because of the two watches that were the size of dinner plates and looked like they could control missile launches. They, or at least this gal, has not seen anything like it and had a hard time understanding what they did. :D

cheeezzz . . . sounds like you interfered with a Darwinian cleansing of the gene pool . . .

God Bless you for your kindness and compassion.

I checked my two Oceanic VT3's in my luggage once. When I was unpacking at our destination I noticed that the computers both read a very high altitude. I do not recall exactly what it was but it was in the area of 14,000 feet and I was standing at sea level.

I was not diving for several days and knew it would adjust to the lower altitude shortly. For more reason then mentioned above, I always carry my computers on with me now as to not get erroneous altitude readings. I am not knowledgeable about how planes are pressurized but would make the assumption that the baggage compartment is not as pressurized as the passenger compartment.

PS: TSA double checked me because of the two watches that were the size of dinner plates and looked like they could control missile launches. They, or at least this gal, has not seen anything like it and had a hard time understanding what they did. :D
Seems like I have had Oceanic computers activate inflight, then make a dive when we landed at sea level, but turn off after 12 hours - clean to go the next morning. I pack my puters with my regs and masks in my roll-on so if the TSA agent doesn't know dive gear, s/he better find one that does. It often gets looked over leaving Lubbock, but never returning. Wearing souvenir dive site T-shirts from diving locations seems to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom